"In My Mountain Town, We’re Preparing for Dark Times" Article re Twisp

Swimmy

Practice your craft.
WFF Supporter
This is more my kind of dark.

DSC_7454(1).jpg

Swung up a nice brown on an olive articulated leach. Looks like he's been dipping
JSDFwlvf_o.gif

001_FullSizeRender(1).jpg

Great morning on the water.
L8VPdFIT_o.gif

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
Some of the comments, opinions and critiques here about this nice bit of writing only signal the sense of self interest that seems rampant of late...Across the breadth of this country(others, with experiences and opinions) the experiential ain't what all of us think and feel. Thanks for the great bit of writing.

Merle

Some of the comments, opinions and critiques here about this nice bit of writing only signal the sense of self interest that seems rampant of late...Across the breadth of this country(others, with experiences and opinions) the experiential ain't what all of us think and feel. Thanks for the great bit of writing.
Oh I didn’t mean to bag on the guy’s writing. It was a nicely written article and raises a salient point about getting though a dark winter when spending times indoors with friends is not recommended because of the virus.

I was just legitimately curious about where he was fishing in October. I just got back from a trip to Twisp and didn’t fish at all, thinking the rivers were closed.

Andy

Freestone

WFF Supporter
... I was just legitimately curious about where he was fishing in October. I just got back from a trip to Twisp and didn’t fish at all, thinking the rivers were closed.

Andy

Some of the small tributaries are open through 10/31.

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
Oh I didn’t mean to bag on the guy’s writing. It was a nicely written article and raises a salient point about getting though a dark winter when spending times indoors with friends is not recommended because of the virus.

I was just legitimately curious about where he was fishing in October. I just got back from a trip to Twisp and didn’t fish at all, thinking the rivers were closed.

Andy
It was a comment to the general timbre of the comments...not to any one individual.

Last edited:

landlocked

WFF Supporter
Sorry to say, alot of people are willingly and sadly putting some very special places on the chopping block for a little personal gain and/or a pat on the ass. :(
Maybe the author is planning on staking a claim in a future version of Early Winters Ski Resort and is looking for financial eyeballs?
Painted a nice picture. That’s what writers are supposed to do. I enjoyed it.

bk paige

Wishin I was on the Sauk
Maybe the author is planning on staking a claim in a future version of Early Winters Ski Resort and is looking for financial eyeballs?
Painted a nice picture. That’s what writers are supposed to do. I enjoyed it.

Maybe if said communities weren't so opposed to Early Winters ski resort they wouldn't be complaining about the lack of people, revenue, income and seasonal stability during the so called off season.

I had front row seats and executive privileges to Early Wnter's resort, in 1986 or 1987. So disappointing it didn't happen, I could've had so much fun!!!

b_illymac

Soap Lake Posse
WFF Moderator
Great piece of writing! It is only overwrought if you have never spent a long, cold winter in isolation, apart from the friends and small community that help you survive the seemingly endless days with your sanity intact. Sure, there are still lots of outdoor activities. But imagine if you weren’t on vacation and that was all you had. For months on end. With very little human interaction. Not everyone is cut out to be a (romanticized) Dick Proenneke.

My biggest problem with the article was the poetic license with regard to the fishing season. I suspect that he was fishing the Methow on 9/30 or before even though it was written as if he were fishing it in October. Either that or he exaggerated the few small creeks that are still open.
Also he kind of exaggerated the deer herds to start out with which have been struggling for years.

bobduck

Whiskey Tastes Best from a TIN CUP
I spent a night in Twisp in the early 60's with the rest of our fire crew. We were being given a day of rest between fires. While there we found a newspaper office that was printing news on an old fashioned press that was an antique even in those days. Somewhere along the line we were told that Twisp was an Indian word meaning Last chance.
True? Wonder if that old office still exists. Doubt it. Anyone know?

surfnfish

Kicked
During a 2000 fish and camping meander through the NW, got into a conversation with the bike shop owner in Mazama about a handful of nice houses on a stretch of the river that looked vacant.
"One year a group of Microsoft millionaires went on a collective land buying and home building spree, than lost interest when they had to deal with getting here from Seattle during winter when the North Cascades highway is closed and the drive through the other passes, when open, is long and sketchy."

some places are self-limiting just by the nature of where and what they are...

Philonius

WFF Supporter
Maybe if said communities weren't so opposed to Early Winters ski resort they wouldn't be complaining about the lack of people, revenue, income and seasonal stability during the so called off season.

I had front row seats and executive privileges to Early Wnter's resort, in 1986 or 1987. So disappointing it didn't happen, I could've had so much fun!!!
I'm curious. This is a bit tangential, but since you seem to have some direct knowledge.... I remember when this ski resort was proposed and ultimately rejected. I was under the impression that the main pushback was from Wetsiders wanting to preserve the wild remoteness of this particular corner of the Cascades. Part of the project would have involved keeping SR20 open throughout the season IIRC (have fun with that.)
Was local opposition that strong and a significant part of the rejection? Would this have been primarily working class locals who stood to see economic benefits or vacation home NIMBYs wanting to keep their valley relatively unspoiled?
As for the original article, well written, but overblown and pandering to the well-heeled adventurebro like most everything from Outside Mag, no?

Gary Thompson

dirty dog
I was living and working in Okanogan Co. in the days when Early Winter's ski area was proposed.
Very few County residents were in favor of the resort.
The main reason I heard was the traffic issues.
IMHO, I think the real reason the resort didn't fly was it would have been way to hard to get to in winter.
When I first moved to Okanogan Co. in 1981 the fishing in the Methow river was outstanding, salmon, steelhead, and lots of planted rainbows.
Was the river open year round? I don't remember.
The Twisp river had big dollies you could catch, and lots of planted RB's
The park in Pateros would be shoulder to shoulder with steelhead fishers and they were catching limits.
All ya had to do was wait yer turn and it was fish on.
The deer herds were in the thousands. I always filled my tag with a fat buck.
I moved away from Okanogan Co. in 1997.
The fishing in the Methow was down to just a few hardy souls after very few fish.
There were no crowds in the Pateros park, no fishers at all.
I still filled my deer tag, but I had private land to hunt on.
The good ole days, gone for ever.
I still live in a isolated location, but with much milder winters. Better for my ole bones.
Thanks for letting me rant a little.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts