"In My Mountain Town, We’re Preparing for Dark Times" Article re Twisp

triploidjunkie

I spent a night in Twisp in the early 60's with the rest of our fire crew. We were being given a day of rest between fires. While there we found a newspaper office that was printing news on an old fashioned press that was an antique even in those days. Somewhere along the line we were told that Twisp was an Indian word meaning Last chance.
True? Wonder if that old office still exists. Doubt it. Anyone know?
Twisp is a native american word that means "wasp" or bee.

bk paige

Wishin I was on the Sauk
I'm curious. This is a bit tangential, but since you seem to have some direct knowledge.... I remember when this ski resort was proposed and ultimately rejected. I was under the impression that the main pushback was from Wetsiders wanting to preserve the wild remoteness of this particular corner of the Cascades. Part of the project would have involved keeping SR20 open throughout the season IIRC (have fun with that.)
Was local opposition that strong and a significant part of the rejection? Would this have been primarily working class locals who stood to see economic benefits or vacation home NIMBYs wanting to keep their valley relatively unspoiled?
As for the original article, well written, but overblown and pandering to the well-heeled adventurebro like most everything from Outside Mag, no?

From what I remember it was all local opposition, the plan was for a very large destination resort like Vail/Whistler. When they started talking about the airport big enough to fly 737 into is when the locals really ramped it up. They wanted the small town life, and I dont blame them, but would be nice to have an actual destination resort in WA

Snopro

but would be nice to have an actual destination resort in WA
If they wanted to, the Yakimas could do something interesting with their half of Adams.

Outside of the tribe, I don't think anyone would be able to secure enough suitable land. With the changing climate it would be a crazy crapshoot anyway.

Albula

swollen member
In 1975 the company I worked for opened an office in Winthrop to evaluate the prospects of Early Winters as a destination resort. A coworker was tasked with the ground work. After 3 years of study the plug was pulled in 1978 and the decision was made to develop, along with the Canadian government, the area across the Fitzsimmons Valley from Whistler that is now known as Blackcomb. I had the good fortune to run some promotional events there a few years later. What a mountain.

bk paige

Wishin I was on the Sauk
If they wanted to, the Yakimas could do something interesting with their half of Adams.

Outside of the tribe, I don't think anyone would be able to secure enough suitable land. With the changing climate it would be a crazy crapshoot anyway.

Yes our mountains are just not big enough unfortunately, it was a nice dream.

Peyton00

I really like the size of Crystal mnt.
Big enough for me and a single way in\out to stop the madness.

tallguy

I really like the size of Crystal mnt.
Big enough for me and a single way in\out to stop the madness.

Was sort of true until last year. Now the madness is in play there too. Ruined by the new owners, like so many other nice mountains, is what I decided after a 4 hr drive to the mountain last winter that involved 25+ miles of stop and go traffic there.

Snopro

With the growing population of the PNW and increasing popularity of the outdoor lifestyle, a well executed 4 season resort could be very profitable and take some pressure off the other areas.

There is definitely a need. Good luck getting it approved.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
With the growing population of the PNW and increasing popularity of the outdoor lifestyle, a well executed 4 season resort could be very profitable and take some pressure off the other areas.

There is definitely a need. Good luck getting it approved.

I’ve always thought the Vantage / Cresent Bar area held some potential for something like this.
Water sports in the summer, skiing not that far way in several directions in the winter.
A airport not that far away that can handle larger planes and cheap power.
Nearly equal distance between Spokane and the Puget Sound area.
Close to the gorge for concerts.
If the state would give up the gaming monopoly they have granted, it might be possible.
SF

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts