"In My Mountain Town, We’re Preparing for Dark Times" Article re Twisp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Griswald

a.k.a. Griswald
Well Ian, you began with the attacks on character. If you do not think this pandemic is a big deal, and you have a degree in public health, well, ok.

I would think you could appreciate the simple fact that wearing a mask in public can slow down the transmission to others if one is contagious. If not, I am not going to change your mind.

ianpadron

Hey guy,
You sound like a person who can string together a decent sentence, so what I don't understand is why you have such a personal sense of self entitlement that you would place others in jeopardy because you refuse to wear a mask?

Doing what you want can be called "independence," doing what is right for the greater good is called "integrity."
Where do you stand? Do what you want in your own life-leave the rest of us out of it.
So anyone with some semblance of intellect is expected to arrive at the same conclusion as you...not sure I'm following.

The forum member who originally came after me is acting like our entire wedding party was from Wuhan, running around Twisp hacking up our lungs and licking the doorknobs of terrified locals.

We had a small outdoor wedding in a giant field, without grandma and grandpa present, and asked that everyone make sure they were healthy before committing to make the trip. We did not wear masks while dancing as mandated by Inslee, we mingled with more than 10 guests, and we served alcohol long past 10 o'clock. We also pumped about $20k into a sector of the local economy that had taken the biggest hit. Un-ironically, those vendors were the sensible ones providing us with hugs and thank-you's.

You know, a common sense and pragmatic solution to an issue threatening a moderate to very important day for us.

Like I mentioned earlier, zero shame in our game.

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
.with the ability to critically analyze data and triage risk without the media and politician talking heads bastardizing the data set for us...
Please tell me how your analysis incorporates the 400,000 mortalities over the past 11 months. Are you saying that masks, social distancing, and hand washing are irrelevant factors with respect to the number of Covid cases and mortalities? I'm 72 years old and looking forward to many more fishing seasons if I don't get waylaid by this virus.

ianpadron

Please tell me how your analysis incorporates the 400,000 mortalities over the past 11 months. Are you saying that masks, social distancing, and hand washing are irrelevant factors with respect to the number of Covid cases and mortalities? I'm 72 years old and looking forward to many more fishing seasons if I don't get waylaid by this virus.
K, now pull the CDC data on deaths from Influenza, Heart Disease, Diabetes, Cancer...etc for 2020. Where'd they go?

THEN pull the demographic and pre-existing condition data for each subset.

Now compare them to the 5 year average.

If you're in good health, even at 72, the data tells us that you have next to nothing to worry about.

a 99.6% survival rate...horrific.

This will be my last post on this thread, as I didn't join a FF forum to talk about the 'Rona.

Irafly

Indi Ira
WFF Supporter
K, now pull the CDC data on deaths from Influenza, Heart Disease, Diabetes, Cancer...etc for 2020. Where'd they go?

If you're in good health, even at 72, the data tells us that you have next to nothing to worry about.

This will be my last post on this thread, as I didn't join a FF forum to talk about the 'Rona.

This will not be your last post about it, you are too invested now.

As you look at the data, also please pull out and just look at the non masking communities. You’ll see those missing numbers you were looking for.

long_rod_silvers

WFF Supporter
My wife and I got married between Winthrop and Twisp this August, were joined by about 40 of our friends/family.

Locals there were no different than anywhere else, some thought the world was ending and gave us the stink eye for not having masks, others were hugging us like long lost friends.

The short term rental market in the area was actually busier in 2020 than ever before due to so many folks working remotely. For example, the Mazama store was overrun basically every morning and afternoon and the area trail heads were packed to the gills with West siders.

Article was a bit dramatic compared to our experience over there.
Congrats on the wedding and welcome to the forum. Swear to god it's a fly fishing forum....most of the time.

Billy McFly

I don't want to get into the back and forth but I just lost a friend to this and I like to tell you what happened.
My friend was 71 and in pretty good health. One of his sons had a dinner get together with three other couples (8 friends). He was asymptamatic two nights later when my friend and his wife had their sons and girlfriends over for dinner. a couple days later the son and his girl friend started showing symptoms and a few days after that everyone did. For some reason it hit my friend like a truck. Within a week he was in the hospital on oxygen. A few days later they had to put hm on a ventilator and he never got off it. 6 long weeks later he passed. I guess the point, for whatever it's worth, is it can happen.

Also it's not just the survival rate we need to worry about with this stuff. There are several nasty long term effects that you just dont want to get. For some reason they call them "long haulers" (google it) and it's turning out to be more common than originally believed. It would be great to survive but it would suck if you didn't have the lung capacity to walk from your truck to the river.

Charles Sullivan

I don't want to get into the back and forth but I just lost a friend to this and I like to tell you what happened.
My friend was 71 and in pretty good health. One of his sons had a dinner get together with three other couples (8 friends). He was asymptamatic two nights later when my friend and his wife had their sons and girlfriends over for dinner. a couple days later the son and his girl friend started showing symptoms and a few days after that everyone did. For some reason it hit my friend like a truck. Within a week he was in the hospital on oxygen. A few days later they had to put hm on a ventilator and he never got off it. 6 long weeks later he passed. I guess the point, for whatever it's worth, is it can happen.

Also it's not just the survival rate we need to worry about with this stuff. There are several nasty long term effects that you just dont want to get. For some reason they call them "long haulers" (google it) and it's turning out to be more common than originally believed. It would be great to survive but it would suck if you didn't have the lung capacity to walk from your truck to the river.
I can't imagine the guilt if I thought that I was the carrier in that scenario. Damn. That's awful. I'm sorry for you and his family and him. That just sucks.

My mom passed in the spring. We have not had a memorial and will likely wait a bit longer. It sucked when she passed and I would really hate to aid in someone else having a memorial service. I think that it would be great for my dad and the whole family to have her party but as a family we have too much respect for the other families in the world.

Go Sox,
cds

Canuck from Kansas

WFF Supporter
Oh you know, just a young couple...one a nurse, the other with a degree in public health from University of Wisconsin...with the ability to critically analyze data and triage risk without the media and politician talking heads bastardizing the data set for us...

I will never cease to be amazed by the mask-shaming whackos that came out of the woodwork in the past 9 months.

And the irony of them throwing fits about listening to "the science"...talk about low-rent virtue signaling.

It's impossible to look objectively at the body of publicly available data and arrive at the conclusion that we should all be wearing masks, avoiding our friends and family, and screaming about a worldwide pandemic.

That's not a politically charged statement either, it's based purely on what the numbers say...not what the news tells me the numbers say.

And then to naturally progress into attacking the character of someone none of you know...just insane.
Like to know where you got your little graph; degree in public health should have taught you how to provide sourcing. I'm not going to get into it with you, your degree in public health obviously didn't do you much good and you clearly have either not read or understood the publicly available data. I have, it's part of my job.

Does your wife, the nurse, wear a mask at work? I suspect, if she is a working nurse that she does, why?

You have no right to endanger me and my family. Just wear a damn mask, it really is not asking very much.

Cheers

BriGuy

Oh you know, just a young couple...one a nurse, the other with a degree in public health from University of Wisconsin...with the ability to critically analyze data and triage risk without the media and politician talking heads bastardizing the data set for us...

I will never cease to be amazed by the mask-shaming whackos that came out of the woodwork in the past 9 months.

And the irony of them throwing fits about listening to "the science"...talk about low-rent virtue signaling.

It's impossible to look objectively at the body of publicly available data and arrive at the conclusion that we should all be wearing masks, avoiding our friends and family, and screaming about a worldwide pandemic.

That's not a politically charged statement either, it's based purely on what the numbers say...not what the news tells me the numbers say.

And then to naturally progress into attacking the character of someone none of you know...just insane.
There is a big difference. The mask-shamers are not hurting anyone. The unmasked pie holes are.

420,000 deaths says so, and that wasn't a normal year.

Please just wear the mask.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
WFF Supporter
Your response is so absurd it's impressive.

"Your kind"...wtf does that mean? You don't know anything about me.

Talking about science and data has become nothing but gaslighting for "people like you".

Here's a graph I put together on the CDC's website this morning...just for you.

Hope you all wore your masks everywhere you went for the past 5 years when the excess mortality for URIs in our state was actually higher than in 2020.

I'm not going back and forth on a fly fishing forum about COVID after this message, but holy cow, the amount of cognitive dissonance and alarmism in this state is mind-numbing.
So...it took me less than 60 seconds to find something alarmingly different from your graph.

So far, more than 350,000 Americans have died of COVID-19. According to preliminary weekly data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) (as of January 6, 2021), 3,187,086 people died from all causes between January 1 and December 26, 2020. While this data is preliminary and is incomplete for at least the last eight weeks of reported data, it provides for useful context.

According to the same estimates, 2,852,609 people died in 2019, meaning at least 334,000 more people have died so far in 2020 than 2019, despite missing or incomplete data for October through December.

I'm not going back and forth on a fly fishing forum about COVID
Too late! You just hit a flyfishing forum to brag about flaunting the state's covid guidelines. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts