Grand Ronde Report

Reeltrout

Just got back from 5 days on the Grand Ronde. Very low fish counts and lots of anglers flooding into the area searching for chrome. Talked to many fly fishers who either got skunked or were happy with a few fish over many days of fishing. The fish checker who covers both Washington and Oregon said 5 fish landed two days ago of 45 anglers checked. We did see some exceptions with gear guys finding fish trolling shrimp and one group from Utah who landed 4 on their last day. Fish checker said the bridges were good places to hunt chrome. We did land on nice fish using a guide from Scott O'Donnell's Speywater Lodge in Troy. P1050690.jpg

Rob Allen

The GR is funny even with high fish counts. One section of river will be full of fish and others empty. One guy will have a great day and everyone else gets skunked...

David Loy

Senior Moment
As interesting to me might be how Bill and Farrel are doing with Boggan’s Oasis. They need some young buck to pony up some cash and buy the place. Good people. Love the GR, but the glory days are long gone, for SH anyway.

Mitch Baker

Just got back from 5 days on the Grand Ronde. Very low fish counts and lots of anglers flooding into the area searching for chrome. Talked to many fly fishers who either got skunked or were happy with a few fish over many days of fishing. The fish checker who covers both Washington and Oregon said 5 fish landed two days ago of 45 anglers checked. We did see some exceptions with gear guys finding fish trolling shrimp and one group from Utah who landed 4 on their last day. Fish checker said the bridges were good places to hunt chrome. We did land on nice fish using a guide from Scott O'Donnell's Speywater Lodge in Troy. View attachment 257697
Nice picture. Thanks for sharing.

Reeltrout

As interesting to me might be how Bill and Farrel are doing with Boggan’s Oasis. They need some young buck to pony up some cash and buy the place. Good people. Love the GR, but the glory days are long gone, for SH anyway.
We were told that Bill is not doing well. They sold the double wide and now reside there too. Bill just celebrated his 86th birthday and does not get around much these days, spending his time with Farrel at his side. The new restaurant and adjacent cabins are now listed for $575k. They still make the famous pies and milkshakes.

landlocked

WFF Supporter
Can’t get away those Utahns anywhere...getting as bad as Texans in CO, or Colorado folk in Wyoming!

Reactions: JS

JS

Can’t get away those Utahns anywhere...getting as bad as Texans in CO, or Colorado folk in Wyoming!
I’ve got a 8 year feud going with a Utahn regarding how fast you’re allowed to walk on the Heritage Landing trail. Apparently I walk too fast.

landlocked

WFF Supporter
Nothing in Colorado worse than Coloradians. :)
I hope none of you fine CO folk live in the Craig, Maybell, Rangely vicinity are on this board and could tie me to that comment I made. With my aging travel trailer and traveling circus equipment I may break down there someday and need help!

Casterbater

Just got back from 5 days on the Grand Ronde. Very low fish counts and lots of anglers flooding into the area searching for chrome. Talked to many fly fishers who either got skunked or were happy with a few fish over many days of fishing. The fish checker who covers both Washington and Oregon said 5 fish landed two days ago of 45 anglers checked. We did see some exceptions with gear guys finding fish trolling shrimp and one group from Utah who landed 4 on their last day. Fish checker said the bridges were good places to hunt chrome. We did land on nice fish using a guide from Scott O'Donnell's Speywater Lodge in Troy. View attachment 257697
Nice fish ! Goodhart is the man! I just got home from a 10 day high desert river ramble . Got one on the Ronde in two days swinging. I fished a lot of surface flies to no avail . Got the one fishing a tip with a leach just a little smaller than the one hanging out of your fish’s mouth . This was after going through with a dry line and traditional wet fly. Needless to say, I feel pretty lucky to get a fish . I got a couple of fish on the trip on a other rivers . It may just be coincidence, but they were all on the second pass going bigger and deeper .

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info