leech lake

Old Trout11

has anyone fished leech lake lately? All of my Canada trips have been canceled. I have fished one week this year and am going thru withdrawals. I tie flies every morning for about two or three hours waiting for the wife to wake up. i have flies that will never see the water. I need to loose some!

Steve Kokita

FISHON206
What side of the pass are you on? Not sure if 410 is open on the west side.....I’d like to fish it again before the snow.....

MJBZ

I fished leech lake last Thursday from 10-630. Water temp was 47 at the surface. A couple of small midge hatches. Fishing was ok in the morning, really slow until ~5pm, then turned on once the mountains blocked the sun. The mid part of the day was blue sky sunny and very little fish activity.

I caught 90% rainbows. Not the best fighters but good sized and well fed.

MJBZ

Oddly, I caught a rainbow with an intact adipose fin. Are there naturally reproducing fish in leech lake?

BCO

Oddly, I caught a rainbow with an intact adipose fin. Are there naturally reproducing fish in leech lake?
I think I have made my last trip to Leech for the year. Looking at a 10 day forecast on Windy, highs in the 30’s and sustained wind of 3-7kts and gusts in the teens. Too much weather for me.
Saw on the news there were winds of 110 mph last week up there. I can’t
imagine what that was like

Matt B

WFF Supporter
They don’t bother to clip fins aka “mark fish” if they aren’t going to be mingling with protected wild (usually anadromous) stocks.

MJBZ

They don’t bother to clip fins aka “mark fish” if they aren’t going to be mingling with protected wild (usually anadromous) stocks.

This makes sense, thanks! It was the only rainbow all day that had the intact fin so i was curious. Must have been a fluke of some kind.

Matt B

WFF Supporter
This makes sense, thanks! It was the only rainbow all day that had the intact fin so i was curious. Must have been a fluke of some kind.
Interesting—I’m kind of surprised any were clipped at all but it probably depends on the stocking program and hatchery source. I was speaking in generalities and am ignorant of the specifics for Leech.

Old Trout11

What side of the pass are you on? Not sure if 410 is open on the west side.....I’d like to fish it again before the snow.....
I'm on the west side in Fairwood. I'm looking at taking wa161 to us12. a 2 1/2 hour trip. I've driven farther. weather for the next two weeks doesn't look too bad-- for now. might give it a try.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts