Neatness Counts

Jim Darden

Just got home from the Clearwater. One of the constant problems is drying out the boots for my wife and I. I put them on a mat at the entrance to my man cave and stumble over them for a week while they dry out. There has to be a better solution! Have any of you guys come up with a drying rack to neaten things up a little?? Maybe something out of PVC pipe Your help would be appreciated!

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
WFF Supporter
I saw a boot dryer like Tom's at friend’s house and was thinking it would be nice to have one. The powered models cost from $40 up so I thought I’d throw something together.

I bought a 2-speed hair dryer with low-med-high temp settings for $6 at a thrift store. It even has a retractable power cord :blush:.
I made a U-shaped manifold extending out 12" on each side (including the elbows) of 2" ABS with a T in the center.
I made boot pedestals to rise up about 12".
I cut one end of each boot pedestal at a 45° angle.
I put a PVC Flexible Rubber Coupling with Stainless Steel Clamps on the center leg of the T and clamped the hair dryer into it.
I glued everything except the T connections at the center of the manifold so the whole unit can be broken down for storage or transport.
The 12"x12" manifold is admittedly large but with size 12 wading boots on the pedestals counterbalanced by the hair dryer it is stable.
The hair dryer I used for this simple project has a low temp setting that gets to about 83°F, or 28°C at the top of the boot pedestals; far below body temperature
I physically blocked the temp switch on the hair dryer so the switch will only go to the low temp position.

It works great. Drying time for wet wading boots is about 2 1/2 hours with no-low heat, high speed.

Here is the parts list:
4 2 in. ABS 90 Degree Hub
1 2 in. ABS Hub Cleanout Test Tee
1 2 in. PVC Flexible Coupling with Stainless Steel Clamps
2 2 in. x 24 in. Plastic ABS Pipe
1 4 oz ABS Cement
1 Hair Dryer

Total cost if you don’t have any of this stuff lying around is about $40 at the hardware store.
Thinner pipe costs a little less but 2" fittings fit this particular hair dryer perfectly.
20190706_135920.jpg
20190706_153427.jpg 20190706_153515.jpg

kmudgn

I just leave them on a wire shelf in the garage. Never had a problem. If I use them again before they dry, who cares as 1. I am wearing waders and 2. they will get wet when I wade

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
WFF Supporter
All good ideas. Question? What happens when the hair dryer motor overheats and either shuts down or catches fire? I'm always thinking the worst, I guess.
Fair question. Thanks for asking.
The hair dryer plug is an Appliance Leakage Circuit Interrupter (ALCI) that monitors the electrical current and cuts off power in a fraction of a second if it senses an imbalance.
I have been using the lowest speed setting in addition to no-low heat setting but it does take longer for the boots to dry.
Mrs Brian has asked that I not leave it running overnight.
I have been using it since July 2019 so it's been used about 30 times.

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
Wading boots. I can't remember when the last time that I wadered up and waded some skinny water. I have been fishing off the banks where I usually fish. I don't even have to get wet anymore. Saves a lot on not having my fishing gear on getting rotted away, from being wet all the time.

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
My wading boots are for wading, where they get soaking wet. So I don't fret much about them drying, since I own and use them for the purpose of getting them wet. After a day's fishing I lean them against the boat trailer jack stand. They eventually dry if I don't go fishing again soon enough. I'm neat tho. If they get dry, or I'm heading out fishing, I place them in a small plastic tote like the one I use under the kitchen sink to toss recyclables in. That way, if they are still wet, they don't get other stuff wet that I throw in the back of my car for the fishing trip.

Drying wading boots falls in the same category of redundancy for me as laundering waders and fishing vests or cleaning cork rod grips, none of which I ever do.

Hem

Fair question. Thanks for asking.
The hair dryer plug is an Appliance Leakage Circuit Interrupter (ALCI) that monitors the electrical current and cuts off power in a fraction of a second if it senses an imbalance.
I have been using the lowest speed setting in addition to no-low heat setting but it does take longer for the boots to dry.
Mrs Brian has asked that I not leave it running overnight.
I have been using it since July 2019 so it's been used about 30 times.
I like the concept. But noisier than the conventional, no?

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts