Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Tropical fishing location good for non fishing spouse.

5K views 47 replies 30 participants last post by  Irafly 
#1 ·
I'm looking for tropical saltwater fishing where I can take the wife where she can get out and do things while I fish. Any suggestions?

#37 · (Edited)
On the way to or from Xmas Island some 3 dozen times we quite often took the time to fish the flats somewhere in Hawaii. In my humble opinion, especially when compared to other options, you are being overly generous in your assessment.
Agreed - still enjoy it as an add on to family vacations, but if you're looking for a place to go fishing with other tropical activities as an add-on it wouldn't be high on my list.

The only time I had an success with anything other than trumpetfish in Hawaii was one morning when I saw baitfish fleeing *something* in a channel between the reef and the shore, which clearly had zero interest in the shrimpy thing I'd been stripping through the water for most of my stay.

After watching the action for a bit, I took out an ez-body minnow pattern that basically looked like this, but with more yellow highlights along the side courtesy of a yellow marker. After a couple of strips in the channel, I connected and discovered that it was barracuda going after the baitfish. After 2-3 days of generally fruitless casting, I felt like I'd cracked the code, and started connecting with each cast.

My excitement was pretty short lived, since all I had was 15lb fluoro leader, and after about 15 minutes all three of these baitfish patterns were gone, and I don't think I caught much of anything for the rest of the trip. Next time I'll have to add steel leader material to the list along with the drugstore tabis....

20201129_114713.jpg

#38 ·
Agreed - still enjoy it as an add on to family vacations, but if you're looking for a place to go fishing with other tropical activities as an add-on it wouldn't be high on my list.

The only time I had an success with anything other than trumpetfish in Hawaii was one morning when I saw baitfish fleeing *something* in a channel between the reef and the shore, which clearly had zero interest in the shrimpy thing I'd been stripping through the water for most of my stay.

After watching the action for a bit, I took out an ez-body minnow pattern that basically looked like this, but with more yellow highlights along the side courtesy of a yellow marker. After a couple of strips in the channel, I connected and discovered that it was barracuda going after the baitfish. After 2-3 days of generally fruitless casting, I felt like I'd cracked the code, and started connecting with each cast.

My excitement was pretty short lived, since all I had was 15lb fluoro leader, and after about 15 minutes all three of these baitfish patterns were gone, and I don't think I caught much of anything for the rest of the trip. Next time I'll have to add steel leader material to the list along with the drugstore tabis....

View attachment 262504
Blindcasting shrimp patterns into sandy areas will lead to oio hookups. Hardest part is keeping that shrimp on the bottom.

#39 ·
It depends on what you guys are into, but my wife doesn’t fish and we love going to Holbox.
The fishing program is pretty cool. Starts at 6am and done a round 2 or 3pm. Plenty of time to shower/nap and then walk the beaches, watch the sunset. Whatever you like. Good food and a fun night life for a tiny island.
It’s predominantly a baby tarpon fishery but jacks, and snooks are around too.
wish I was there now.

#42 ·
True. Huge bones on Oahu, and a guide can help your chances 1,000 fold. But that spot can be very crowded and the bones on Oahu can go lockjaw on you on a whim. DIY fly fishing here is always tougher, and the Big Island is the toughest of all to hook and land one on fly in my opinion. There is always a chance if you take your shots. But the average fish here is much bigger than the tiny average bonefish in places like Belize. So...always worth a shot.

#43 ·

Triangle flat is pretty awesome. First picture is fishing triangle with Louie the Fish's son Joaquin. That was right after a trip to CI. Went 3/4 caught them on an incoming tide and they would run over the edge.
Second pic is fishing with Mike Hennessy, Hawaii on the Fly. He dropped me off at triangle and then took his daughter out to surf the break out side the airport. Brisa, his daughter is doing really well on the pro surfing tour, hopefully they get going soon.
Mike is a great guy and a wonderful guide and a good friend. If you head to Oahu look him up. There are a number of great guides on Oahu, and that will really help you to not only see the bones but to land one as well.
Mingo is right the Big Island is tough. He went to Molokai, and I would say if you want a double digit bone that is the best place in Hawaii to get one. Hungry fish with little pressure and enough of a flat to handle a 200yrd run. Hawaii is tough, but the fish are huge.

#47 ·

Triangle flat is pretty awesome. First picture is fishing triangle with Louie the Fish's son Joaquin. That was right after a trip to CI. Went 3/4 caught them on an incoming tide and they would run over the edge.
Second pic is fishing with Mike Hennessy, Hawaii on the Fly. He dropped me off at triangle and then took his daughter out to surf the break out side the airport. Brisa, his daughter is doing really well on the pro surfing tour, hopefully they get going soon.
Mike is a great guy and a wonderful guide and a good friend. If you head to Oahu look him up. There are a number of great guides on Oahu, and that will really help you to not only see the bones but to land one as well.
Mingo is right the Big Island is tough. He went to Molokai, and I would say if you want a double digit bone that is the best place in Hawaii to get one. Hungry fish with little pressure and enough of a flat to handle a 200yrd run. Hawaii is tough, but the fish are huge.
Unfortunately, Henny isn't guiding on Oahu anymore (he's relocated to Fiji). And yes, Hawaii has large o'io!
Water Cloud Sky Sleeve Glove

#48 · (Edited)
My first trip to Kauai I was fishing the South Shore and within 1/2 hour of my first day, I spotted a big bone. I made one half decent cast and that bone exploded on my fly. It then promptly ripped me a new one around the corals. I kinda lost that fish!

I fished 2 more times on that trip and never saw another bone. I’ve been to Hawaii two more times and fished another 4 ish days. Never have seen another bone.

I have landed papio, wrasse, trumpets, hawk fish, and a couple of other random fish.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.