Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Tropical fishing location good for non fishing spouse.

5K views 47 replies 30 participants last post by  Irafly 
#1 ·
I'm looking for tropical saltwater fishing where I can take the wife where she can get out and do things while I fish. Any suggestions?

#5 ·
What is the approximate cost of a trip?

#8 ·
My other half who really was not taken by fishing but enjoyed boat time occasionally was always up for a trip to Belize.

#13 ·
It was my first time Bone fishing and I did it DIY. I landed 2. But learned a ton and got better with each day and tide

Most miss leading thing was I caught one on my first cast on first day. Just lucky. The next day I was skunked and on the 3 day I got my biggest

#12 ·
Surprised our Hawaii-based members haven't chimed in. Haven't fished there yet, but I usually play golf one day a trip, and there's been plenty to do for my wife on Maui (Kaanapali area) or Oahu (Waikiki area). If you're planning to go in winter, on Maui she can sit on the beach or lanai and watch whales (or do a whale-watching boat trip) out of Lahaina. Plenty of other options as well.

#15 ·
You can come to Hawaii now if you get tested before you won’t have to quarantine. The water has now cooled off and I got a bone yesterday.
I really enjoy baja and my wife and family love it as well. Big fish lots of great food and plenty for your wife to do, plus it is pretty cheap.
You can always go to New Orleans for red fish. I am sure your wife will have a good time in the Crescent City.

#16 ·
I just did Key West with my bride and had a blast. Plenty of stuff for her to do during the day, and we're in a great town for dinner/drinks in the evening. Even got her out on the boat one day to run back into the everglades with Capt Steve Friedman. She caught snook and a baby tarpon on light gear. Great fun.

We had planned to go to Cabo but covid killed that. Still want to do that one too as my buddy raves about it for a combo fishing/spouse trip.

#19 ·
depends on what you want to fish for and price. but i would really look at the pacific coast of costa rica, fish for roster fish and other inshore fish and maybe do a day offshore. super safe great lodging and down right great fishing but its not a typical fly fishing destination

#23 ·
What does your wife like to do in her down time. That might help drive locations.

This will be the first year I do not go to Hawaii at least once since 2007. It sucks but even though I bring a fly rod or two every time, the fishing will not be the first, second, third or 10th thing I will miss most about my trips.

#26 ·
What does your wife like to do in her down time. That might help drive locations.
She likes to swim shop and experience the local culture, not real touristy stuff but the real culture.

#30 ·
My friend Chris owns this place in Belize. Might be too big for you, but, you can swim and catch bonefish right off the deck. Some good local culture in walking distance. Chris can also hook you up with guides that he uses if you wanted to do that a few days. He is a very experienced saltwater fisherman, and is a badass dude! Having done a few saltwater trips, its fun to go out with guides a few days, and then try for yourself. You will find the guides are almost indispensable, but when/if you are able to stalk and catch a bone on your own its an unforgettable experience.

#31 ·
Big Bonefish in Hawaii as Mems hints at.They're a different (and bigger) species to the ones found on Christmas Island.....which btw you can forget about unless your wife fishes.How about Aitutaki in the Cook Islands for the best and super romantic south sea island tropical destination? Same big Bonefish species as the Hawaiian Islands and the most beautiful and accessible lagoon on the planet.My wife loved it and it's Honeymoon Central which says something...

#33 ·
Hawaii can be fun for a mixed-activity with-significant-other vacation if you come with realistic expectations. And the best expectation is always NO expectation. We get our share of bones but you'll have to have your A game on, be able to spot fish like an eagle and be able to deliver 70' casts with accuracy in the wind. And even then you probably won't hook anything. And if you do...you'll likely lose it to coral, reef drop-offs or lava rock. One of the largest I've hooked on fly here ran right at a sea turtle and wrapped my leader around the turtle's front flippers and neck! I did "land" them both, safely, in rather comic fashion, which taught me a lot about the pressure you can put on 20 lb fluoro.

If you want a hardcore fishing trip with high numbers of fish almost guaranteed, this isn't the place to come. But if you want a mainly mellow trip, with gorgeous scenery and some fishing included, it's not a bad way to go. These are very average bonefish for Hawaii....
Water Vertebrate Smile Fisherman Sunglasses
Smile Glasses Shorts Water Goggles
Water Sky Vertebrate Fisherman Outdoor recreation

#34 ·
Hawaii can be fun for a mixed-activity with-significant-other vacation if you come with realistic expectations. And the best expectation is always NO expectation. We get our share of bones but you'll have to have your A game on, be able to spot fish like an eagle and be able to deliver 70' casts with accuracy in the wind. And even then you probably won't hook anything. And if you do...you'll likely lose it to coral, reef drop-offs or lava rock. One of the largest I've hooked on fly here ran right at a sea turtle and wrapped my leader around the turtle's front flippers and neck! I did "land" them both, safely, in rather comic fashion, which taught me a lot about the pressure you can put on 20 lb fluoro.

If you want a hardcore fishing trip with high numbers of fish almost guaranteed, this isn't the place to come. But if you want a mainly mellow trip, with gorgeous scenery and some fishing included, it's not a bad way to go. These are very average bonefish for Hawaii.... View attachment 262311 View attachment 262313 View attachment 262314
Don't sell it so hard! Don't threaten me with a good time!! I'm in!! When should I come out?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.