We still have GOOD PEOPLE IN OUR HUNTING AND FISHING FRATERNITY

Greg Price

Love da little fishies
I did my annual eastern washington trip to fly fish between muzzel loader and modern rifle.

My first day ran into heavy rain then wind, so took dog on a long ride to see eastern washington farmland.

Second day less wind and a bit of sun, so dog and i headed to fish. Fishing sucked, still too much wind to tell what was hatching. To make matters worse, i found that i had dropped my wallet somewhere on the the 3 mile round trip hike in the desert

So i took my trusty small mag light and dog and i searched the first1/4 mile in the dark to the place we had lunch.

Next day spent 7 hours re tracing my steps, still no wallet and no fish.

The formerly deserted campground was packed by time we got back, so i decided to call this adventure to a halt.

Problem was, i barely had enough gas for the 5 hour drive home.

Each year i camp with one hunting party from Deer Park WA and other from chehalis wa on both sides of me for the last few days of fishing.

Chehalis hunters brought wives this time. One of them insisted i take a 20 spot from her and i did.

Then, as i was leaving after dark, she handed me a full paper plate of delicious spaghetti and garlic bread for the road.

I got home at 3 AM Friday morning. Stoped on way and put 20 dollars of gas in tank.

Then today, my wife got a call from "Adam" with an eastern wa area code of 509. He was fishing the same area and found my wallet. He will mail it to me tomorrow.

I feel blessed to be able to have contact with such honest, upright and caring strangers. I will definitely file these kind gestures in my bank of goodness when covid isolation starts getting to me

Old406Kid

Not to steal your thunder but I had a similar situation last night.

I decided to drive my old '82 For plow truck 16 miles to the nearest Town Pump to fuel it up before winter hit and developed mechanical problems in the last mile.
I managed to limp into the station but the truck was undriveable so my first thought was no worries I'll call a neighbor to pick me up but soon realized that I left without my cell phone...'oh shit.'

Again no worries, I'll just go into the station and ask to use the phone but as I walked towards the door realized that I didn't have the required mask so another 'oh shit' moment.
My next option was to beg someone with a phone to call my wife as I can't remember the neighbors phone #'s due to the convenience of contacts rather than dialing on our cell phones.
The first guy I ask says no problem and dials my wife...unfortunately she thinks it's a solicitor so ignores the call. He tries a few more times but gets the same results. I thank him and explain my facemask situation and he pulls out a ziploc with several new ones and gives me one.

Great, now I can get into the store and hopefully borrow a phonebook to see if any of my neighbors have listed landlines.
I ask the young clerk but he looks a little befuddled and takes me to the magazine section of the store and points at Atlases....at that point I was kind of feeling like the dinosaur. Fortunately his older manager was still there, overheard the conversation, and gave the young man 3 Western MT area phonebooks Again, the dinosaur thing as either they no longer have landlines or are unlisted...'oh shit #3'

The thought of hitchhiking briefly crossed my mind but rationalization and old age told me that as long as the motor ran and the heater worked it was far better spending the night in the truck than a 16 mile walk.

At that point, I asked another guy if he could dial my wife and covid risks aside he let me use his cell phone. Unfortunately my wife thinks another solicitor so ignores a couple of calls followed by my somewhat frantic voicemails.
As a last resort I called my son who always answers and that call also goes to voicemail.

After waiting awhile I make another call to my wife on yet another borrowed phone and finally get an answer. Fortunately, she was able to reach one of my great neighbors who came and picked me up.

This morning I was hooking up my car trailer and another neighbor volunteered to come along and help me load the truck.

Long story short and sorry for the ramble but bless the good people in this world.:)

Bruce Baker

When I was living in Gainesville, Florida, my wallet fell out of the pocket of my shorts unbeknownst to me when I was at a Gators football game. The next morning, I went to work and was getting ready to cancel credit cards, when I received a call from a woman that told me she had sat behind me and picked up my wallet. I was totally amazed and thankful. There really are good people out there.

Greg Price

Love da little fishies
Not to steal your thunder but I had a similar situation last night.

I decided to drive my old '82 For plow truck 16 miles to the nearest Town Pump to fuel it up before winter hit and developed mechanical problems in the last mile.
I managed to limp into the station but the truck was undriveable so my first thought was no worries I'll call a neighbor to pick me up but soon realized that I left without my cell phone...'oh shit.'

Again no worries, I'll just go into the station and ask to use the phone but as I walked towards the door realized that I didn't have the required mask so another 'oh shit' moment.
My next option was to beg someone with a phone to call my wife as I can't remember the neighbors phone #'s due to the convenience of contacts rather than dialing on our cell phones.
The first guy I ask says no problem and dials my wife...unfortunately she thinks it's a solicitor so ignores the call. He tries a few more times but gets the same results. I thank him and explain my facemask situation and he pulls out a ziploc with several new ones and gives me one.

Great, now I can get into the store and hopefully borrow a phonebook to see if any of my neighbors have listed landlines.
I ask the young clerk but he looks a little befuddled and takes me to the magazine section of the store and points at Atlases....at that point I was kind of feeling like the dinosaur. Fortunately his older manager was still there, overheard the conversation, and gave the young man 3 Western MT area phonebooks Again, the dinosaur thing as either they no longer have landlines or are unlisted...'oh shit #3'

The thought of hitchhiking briefly crossed my mind but rationalization and old age told me that as long as the motor ran and the heater worked it was far better spending the night in the truck than a 16 mile walk.

At that point, I asked another guy if he could dial my wife and covid risks aside he let me use his cell phone. Unfortunately my wife thinks another solicitor so ignores a couple of calls followed by my somewhat frantic voicemails.
As a last resort I called my son who always answers and that call also goes to voicemail.

After waiting awhile I make another call to my wife on yet another borrowed phone and finally get an answer. Fortunately, she was able to reach one of my great neighbors who came and picked me up.

This morning I was hooking up my car trailer and another neighbor volunteered to come along and help me load the truck.

Long story short and sorry for the ramble but bless the good people in this world.:)
I love hearing your story of oh shits and kind people. Glad you made it home safely. Felt good when I pulled in driveway, but also felt a bit sad cause I think I could have cracked the code a caught fish. I am not complaining. Had great hikes in wide open land, heard wildlife and had entire campground to ourselves. Dig thought she was in heaven. No leash. Nice warm fires and she got a kids Batman hoodie plus fleeece blanket wrapped atound her in doggie bed for watmth

Gary Thompson

dirty dog
Great story.
I found a tackle box floating in the wave line at RW one year with the guys fishing lic. inside.
I gave him a call and mailed the lic. back to him. He told me to keep the tackle box, new and almost empty. I still have the box, mostly full and hardly used.
Yep there are still some good folks out there, fishing and hunting.

dp

~El Pescador
glad to hear there are still good people out there.
I enjoyed bantering with fellow fishermen/women at Lenice and Rocky over the weekend.
At Rocky, I left my pack two holes below me before I realized I didn't have it.
I hate that sinking feeling when something is lost. I found it though!

Greg Price

Love da little fishies
Lunch Tuesday Update:

Just got my wallet back UPS.

It still has all of the $13.00 i had in it when i lost it.

I almost got 73 dollars in at as i stopped at Fred Meyer in Ellensburge for a few groceries and wanted to get pocket cash, but forgot they now charge .50 and did not want to pay. Where i camp it is a min drive one hour to anything that accepts cash, so i decided to forgo the cash.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info