Cheap fly rod life hack

Northern

It's all good.
WFF Supporter
I frequently travel with multiple rods rigged, usually broken down in half, so they're ready to fish. Of course, like xmas lights, they inevitably tangle together, precipitating bouts of unladylike language.
You've probably seen these on amzn/ebay and thought "ugh, more made in china crap" - but I bought some anyway, and I love them! 5 seconds to put on or take off, no more tangles. Easy to adjust the length to fit each rod, enough colors to colorcode them if you want. Ridiculously inexpensive, also.
An excellent thing to suggest if your family asks for xmas gift suggestions!
These are the ones I have:
Screenshot_20201019-105436_Amazon Shopping.jpg
20200821_152154.jpg

LeoCreek

I'll bet it's fun getting your fly unhooked from inside this sleeve. Haha.

I only mention that, because in the photo, it looks like the fly lines on the rods are feeding up into the sleeves....I'm assuming with flies still tied on....so even with a barbless fly, I'll bet it's fun dealing with that. Just saying.

Not trying to be a nay sayer or a smart ass, just wondering out loud. Let us know how that works for you.

Bob Newman

I’ve had some of these in a different brand for at least 10 years, saw a pro-bass guy with them on his rods. Easy decision to buy. They work like northern has them and full set up rods to keep them separated in a boat.

Northern

It's all good.
WFF Supporter
I'll bet it's fun getting your fly unhooked from inside this sleeve. Haha.

I only mention that, because in the photo, it looks like the fly lines on the rods are feeding up into the sleeves....I'm assuming with flies still tied on....so even with a barbless fly, I'll bet it's fun dealing with that. Just saying.

Not trying to be a nay sayer or a smart ass, just wondering out loud. Let us know how that works for you.
So far not really a problem. I have the flies hooked onto the hookkeepers, and because the sleeve is a little stiff, it stays out away from the fly most of the time. The few times it has snagged, the weave is loose and stiff enough that a barbless hook just backs out easily.
If I have something with a big hook - like a bass bug, I hook it on the reel to keep it out of the sleeve.
OTOH, I've snagged my hooks into my car upholstry more times than I can recall!

Northern

It's all good.
WFF Supporter
I saw those in a shop recently and wondered just how useful they might be.
I also just went out to rinse my gear after the beach, and the sleeves rinse & dry easily also, since they're woven plastic.
Meaning I can protect them on the way home from fishing also without worrying about getting a rod tube/sock salty.

Rocking Chair Fan

No more hot spotting
I have been using fly rod tubes that include room for the reel attached. These are so much easier to use and it prevents my vehicle from being targeted by thieves because the rod and reel tubes are not in the vehicle. Plus at $3 a piece they are much cheaper than what I currently have which cost over $100 each.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
WFF Supporter
The rod sleeves are a great idea!

I frequently carry two Tenkara rods in a side pouch of my (tactical) sling pack leaving my hands free. I keep them in their stretchy knit rod socks when hiking to the water. I have clip-on line winders for each of the rods. When the rigged rod is collapsed and the line is wound around the winder, the line won't let any of the sections extend and they're less than 25" so they're easy to transport. Once I rig and use a T-rod, it takes about 30 seconds to secure and stow the rod and a minute or less to rig a second rod with a pre-rigged line from a spool.

Northern

It's all good.
WFF Supporter
The rod sleeves are a great idea!

I frequently carry two Tenkara rods in a side pouch of my (tactical) sling pack leaving my hands free. I keep them in their stretchy knit rod socks when hiking to the water. I have clip-on line winders for each of the rods. When the rigged rod is collapsed and the line is wound around the winder, the line won't let any of the sections extend and they're less than 25" so they're easy to transport. Once I rig and use a T-rod, it takes about 30 seconds to secure and stow the rod and a minute or less to rig a second rod with a pre-rigged line from a spool.
Yep - I have a Tenkara rod similarly set up that I carry tucked in the straps across the bottom of my hip pack when I fish small water. For when you know there's a fish in that pocket behind the rock an unwadeable 15 feet and 6 current seams away.

Daz

Good to hear that they're working well.. I've been thinking about getting something similar to help protect rods while in my rod vault (especially for bumpy roads). Looks like I'm off to eBay again...

Thanks

SilverFly

Interesting. Likely not much protection in terms of bending or impact breaks, but should be a huge help stopping tangles, snagging guides etc. Case in point, try taking 4 fully-rigged fly rods onto a charter boat, unbundle them, then attempt to stow them, individually, somewhere in the tower supports, without getting snagged or broken.

A simpler hack I've been using for this are extra-large flexible ties I found at Home Despot. They've helped considerably. Not only in securing rods on the boat, but in preventing the mysterious physics that somehow intricately weave two or more fly rods placed in close proximity. Seriously, starting to think this effect might be the first evidence of quantum entanglement on a macroscopic scale. ;)

Attachments

• Gear_ties.jpg
    Gear_ties.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 26

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts