Float Tubes in Winter

wanative

Retired, gone fishin'
WFF Supporter
Yeah, with foot control and gps so Fred can find his way back to the put in. But what he says about having both hands for fishing and legs/fins for positioning and mobility is true - especially for trollers and I guess Fred just admitted that he's a "troll(er)". Two days ago I missed several takes while rowing my pram (I was Fredding it, I mean trolling from one drop off to a shoal and fishing my way there; I might not of missed the takes if I'd had the rod in my hand. I do prefer to anchor and fish whether it is with an indicator rod or cast and retrieve. I'll take the pram for anchored fishing.
I get no respect. When I was born I was so ugly the Dr. slapped my mother.
I get no respect. My feet are so big I don't need flippers fishing from a float tube.

MelW

Certified Curmudgeon - GET OFF MY LAWN!
Two days ago I missed several takes while rowing my pram (I was Fredding it, I mean trolling from one drop off to a shoal and fishing my way there; I might not of missed the takes if I'd had the rod in my hand. I do prefer to anchor and fish whether it is with an indicator rod or cast and retrieve. I'll take the pram for anchored fishing.
You just need more experience with "Harling";)
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/harling

Buzzy

I'd like to hop in on this question. I have been winter float tubing for a few years with my entry level Classic Accessories float tube. Once seated in the tube, the water level is generally right at my belly button. This position keeps my lower legs, my thighs, and my valuables below water for every second of fishing.

Would a Fish Cat 4 or Fish Cat 4 Deluxe be more comfortable in cold conditions? I imagine sitting on top of the water with just my lower legs below the surface would make a major difference in tolerating cold water, but I have no other complaints about my Classic Accessories tube at this point and wouldn't upgrade if the difference was insignificant.
Mike - I can't say for sure where you're going to be "depth" wise on the Fish Cat 4. I float tube in a Fat Cat, bigger than the Fish Cat 4 and has are higher load capacity (300 # Vs. 250 #). Not sure how much I weigh when I'm fully outfitted with warm clothes, waders and fins but my butt is above the water line. Kicking around, leaning over to release a fish - whatever, water does get on top of the seat fabric but you are not submerged. No thanks on being submerged to near my belly button when tubing.

Rocking Chair Fan

No more hot spotting
Truthfully why fish when you're going to freeze your ass off? Yes some but very few fish bite when it is that cold. They may be bigger fish but overall is it really worth the effort? Maybe when you're young and inexperienced but when you get older like me is the pain worth the punishment of cold? And asking for a friend obviously.

Steve Kokita

FISHON206
Truthfully why fish when you're going to freeze your ass off? Yes some but very few fish bite when it is that cold. They may be bigger fish but overall is it really worth the effort? Maybe when you're young and inexperienced but when you get older like me is the pain worth the punishment of cold? And asking for a friend obviously.
Well I’m 64 and Lue’s 10 years older......fall fish usually put on the feed bag when things get colder.....I still went 7/22

IveofIone

WFF Supporter
All this talk about fishing in ice water reminds me of a joke from back in the '50's.

Preparing for his honeymoon cruise a young guy goes to a drug store to get things for his trip. He tells the druggist that he wants 2 bottles of Dramamine and 8 packs of prophylactics. The druggist looks at him quizzically and goes back to get the items. Returning to the counter he makes change from a $20 bill and hands it back to the young man. As the man is leaving the druggist says: "I know it's none of my business but if it makes you sick-why do you do it?"

Gary Knowels

Because the act of fishing is one of the activities that can reduce the level of stress I feel in the moment and for a period of time (days-weeks) afterwards.

Buzzy

The cascade mountain range, ocean onshore winds and other geological and geographical considerations (and probably a lot more than these things) affect out states stillwaters. Ive of Ione lives on the frozen tundra; his favorite zipper lip lakes are likely ice bound for months. Same goes here in the Columbia Basin but to a lesser extent. I wonder how many winters lakes freeze hard west of the cascades near sea level?

For me, when the lakes get to say 50F in the fall, that's about the end of my float tube hike in days; there's still "lakes" I can get my pram or Hewes to. But: come March, ice off on some of these same hike in lakes - I'm sick of winter and can handle a few hours in my float tube. I want to catch some trout. More than once I've broken a small skiff of ice along the shore to get out onto the water, early season chironomid fishing can be damn good.

Another thing to think about when fishing in really cold weather is how you fish. Casting a sinking line and stripping all the time wets your hands, nitriles, wool. A floating line, indicator and something submerged keeps your hands drier. Food for thought. Food? I just mixed up a batch of herb artisan bread. 8:00 tomorrow morning and the house is going to smell bread delicious.

Last edited:

Mike22

Mike - I can't say for sure where you're going to be "depth" wise on the Fish Cat 4. I float tube in a Fat Cat, bigger than the Fish Cat 4 and has are higher load capacity (300 # Vs. 250 #). Not sure how much I weigh when I'm fully outfitted with warm clothes, waders and fins but my butt is above the water line. Kicking around, leaning over to release a fish - whatever, water does get on top of the seat fabric but you are not submerged. No thanks on being submerged to near my belly button when tubing.

I believe the difference is significant. You'd be much warmer in any tube that keeps your ass and the family jewels above water.

Just placed my order on a Fish Cat 4, thanks!

b_illymac

Soap Lake Posse
WFF Moderator
Exactly. No fish to be caught in the winter. Nothing like this: IMG_20200103_160013_899.jpg Late spring...fish in late spring... :D

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts