seeking sinking line advice

Zak

WFF Supporter
I am pretty new to lake fishing for trout. I have a Sage RPL 6wt. I have floating and intermediate lines and want to add a Type 3 sinking line.

I found the Airflo Sixth Sense 5/6 Type 3 on sale: https://www.mrfc.com/collections/lines-sale/products/airflo-sixth-sense-sinking-fly-line#xrs-anchor

It has a 46' head at 265gr. That's heavier than my CQS intermediate at 210gr (but a 35' head).

Do you think the Airflo is a good match for fishing from a float tube and rowboat? Is there a better line I should be looking at? I have never used a full sinking line before and appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

Zak

Hookset

WFF Supporter
Howdy-

I started fishing Boobies a year ago, so I needed a full sink with rapid sink rate. I purchased a Rio Fathom 6 for a 5wt even though it’s used on a 4wt rod. It overloads the rod slightly but casts well.

When trolling I only put out 25ft of line if I want to fish further up the water column.

It sinks like a rock which is great with those with lack of patience. I’ve been accused of this proclivity.

Reactions: Zak

troutpocket

That Airflo will be a good line. Most modern sinking lines are a bit on the heavy side but most modern rods can handle it without issue. If it was me, I'd skip the Type 3 and get a Type 5. The 5 does well in the 8-15' zone, which is where I find a lot of lake dwelling trout. If you like to count down on your retrieve, the type 5 sinks at a rate that makes it easy to estimate your depth to stay near the bottom. Double your count for the depth in feet . . .if it's 10' deep, count to 20 then retrieve.

Last edited:

Zak

WFF Supporter
Thanks for the replies! The sale doesn't have 5/6 Type 5, but it does have has a 6/7 Sixth Sense Type 5 at 295gr. Heavier still! But, from my float tube I probably will only be casting portion of the 46' head. You'd all go with the 6/7 295gr Type 5 over the 5/6 265gr Type 3?

295 gr is well heavier than a CQS 8wt (250gr). It seems really heavy, no?

Last edited:

Starman77

I also have the Airflo 6/7 Type 5 line and have been fishing it for over a year. When new it casts really well and feels good. I didn't like the bright blue color with fluorescent orange hang markers, as I felt it spooked some fish more than the RIO Intouch Deep 7 line, which is dark gray in color. After a year of use, the Airflo line doesn't cast as well (even with fly line cleaning) and gets more tangles, but the RIO line also tangles a lot and doesn't cast as well after a lot of use. Both lines have their pluses and minuses and I'd say I like each equally well, but for different reasons.

Reactions: Zak

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts