John Day River

mjb

Hello, I'd like to fish the JD for steelhead in November. It will be a solo trip so I would rather hike/camp than float. Is it safe to assume that I can access at Cottonwood or Thirtymile, hike in and camp on the river on BLM land? Other access suggestions?
Thanks, Mark

BaldBob

Retired- Navy Captain,Forester,Forestry Consultant
I don't know about Thirtymile, but yes on Cottonwood. You can also access at Emigrant Crossing (Rock Creek road), but access to BLM land from there is limited.

JayB

Might be worth checking when it comes to the riverside camping outside of designated campgrounds or areas with a dispersed camping designation.

At least in segments 1A and 1B was under the impression that riverside camping outside of these areas was limited to parties with float permits to minimize impact.

Could be wrong, but that's the impression I got when looking at the regs.

Reactions: JS

JS

Might be worth checking when it comes to the riverside camping outside of designated campgrounds or areas with a dispersed camping designation.

At least in segments 1A and 1B was under the impression that riverside camping outside of these areas was limited to parties with float permits to minimize impact.

Could be wrong, but that's the impression I got when looking at the regs.

That’s how I’ve always read it. I used to run into an old timer who always camped at McD that told me he got run off by a rancher because he was backpacking in without a boat.

Has to do with not having a toilet with you. You aren’t supposed to bury your shit stream side on the JD or the D. Even if ranchers let their cows shit in said streams.

mjb

I checked with BLM in Prineville. They said backpacking/overnighting on BLM land is ok with same requirements as boaters - pack out all waste and use a fire pan if burning.

Reactions: JS

CaddisSunset

The landowners both up and downstream of McD are very unfriendly and will call the sheriff if your above the high water mark (and even if your not sometimes, also resist the temptation to walk the dirt road along the river, they are watching!). Also the JD is not like normal rivers, expect very long hikes between short stretches of productive fly water.

mjb

The landowners both up and downstream of McD are very unfriendly and will call the sheriff if your above the high water mark (and even if your not sometimes, also resist the temptation to walk the dirt road along the river, they are watching!). Also the JD is not like normal rivers, expect very long hikes between short stretches of productive fly water.
Thanks for the information.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts