Public Trust, DamNation & Artifishal movies free on YouTube. Watch them.

Josh

dead in the water
WFF Moderator
Three great Patagonia sponsored movies are currently on YouTube for free. None are fly fishing specific, but all are award-winning, well done, and worth a watch.

Veterans of many fly fishing films, the Felt Soul Media crew produced a film on dams a few years back, DamNation. Unsurprisingly, a heavy focus on the PNW dams (Elwah, Columbia, etc). I admit that I really like this movie and have watched it a number of times. Perhaps more so than the other two movies in this post, it feels like there's a lot of hope here. As one of the commenters in the film says towards the end:

Like all constructed things, dams have a finite lifetime. It's not time to pull out every dam in the country, that would be economically foolish.But it would be just as foolish not to rethink every dam in the country and try and decide which are the ones that actually still make sense in the 21st century. And which are those where we can get more value, economically, culturally, aesthetically, morally, and ecologically out of a river system by sending it partway back to the state that it was in naturally. The history of thinking in the western world is that radical ideas eventually can become conventional. And a couple of decades ago, it was radical in terms of thinking that you could take a damn out. It was unthinkable. Go back 50 years, it was legitimately crazy talk. But you know, the conversation has changed.

In a similar vein, Artifishal looks at the attempt to replicate missing salmon stocks through hatcheries and aquaculture. As any of us might not be surprised to hear, that isn't something that is going well.

The third, and most recent, movie focuses public lands. More specifically, their giveaway to commercial interests by President Trump and others. Of the three, this movie is likely to be tough for some to hear its message, either due to their belief-in or hate-of Trump. And that's a shame. Public lands is an area where I wish the outdoor community could come together and reject the "party allegiance" BS that politicians and the cable news talking heads want to blind us with while they profit. Public lands aren't a left or right issue. Redneck hunters and environmentalist birdwatchers and millennial Instagram tenkara fishermen should all care about this land and the fact that something owned in trust for every member of this nation is being given away for pennies (or less) to the highest campaign donor.

Mark Melton

I've watched the two first ones. I really enjoyed Artifishal. DamNation was fairly good as well. I hadn't heard about Public Trust but will be sure to watch it. Thanks for posting.

Josh

dead in the water
WFF Moderator
Just in case one needed a bit of inspiration after three heavy films about things going wrong:

Greg Price

Love da little fishies
Three great Patagonia sponsored movies are currently on YouTube for free. None are fly fishing specific, but all are award-winning, well done, and worth a watch.

Veterans of many fly fishing films, the Felt Soul Media crew produced a film on dams a few years back, DamNation. Unsurprisingly, a heavy focus on the PNW dams (Elwah, Columbia, etc). I admit that I really like this movie and have watched it a number of times. Perhaps more so than the other two movies in this post, it feels like there's a lot of hope here. As one of the commenters in the film says towards the end:

In a similar vein, Artifishal looks at the attempt to replicate missing salmon stocks through hatcheries and aquaculture. As any of us might not be surprised to hear, that isn't something that is going well.

The third, and most recent, movie focuses public lands. More specifically, their giveaway to commercial interests by President Trump and others. Of the three, this movie is likely to be tough for some to hear its message, either due to their belief-in or hate-of Trump. And that's a shame. Public lands is an area where I wish the outdoor community could come together and reject the "party allegiance" BS that politicians and the cable news talking heads want to blind us with while they profit. Public lands aren't a left or right issue. Redneck hunters and environmentalist birdwatchers and millennial Instagram tenkara fishermen should all care about this land and the fact that something owned in trust for every member of this nation is being given away for pennies (or less) to the highest campaign donor.

thanks for posting, i watched this last night till i fell asleep half way thru, but will watch again

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts