"Run Away Freight Train"

Rocking Chair Fan

No more hot spotting
Many of us that fish lakes have had one or more occurrences where we have had takes by fish where the fish strikes were so violent of our offering (trolling or via indicator) with a hard smack and a rapid pull where the fish gets into our backing before we can even respond. 50' to 70' of line goes out before we can even respond - especially with palming the reel. I am reminded of strikes of Lake Lenice back in the 80's. It happened several times to me on Lake Lenice and I never saw the fish. I have always remembered those takes and wondered how big the fish were to this day... Obviously I did not catch one of them...

Well this last Sunday on a local Western Washington lake it occurred again. Brought back old memories to say the least. And YES the fish became unbuttoned just like before. The fly was still attached too... I have caught large trout in this lake but they fought differently and I was able to bring them to a net.

So... How big are they? How do you fight them so they do not come of the hook? OR is it what memories are made of?

Last edited:

JE

Many of us that fish lakes have had one or more occurrences where we have had takes by fish where the fish strikes were so violent of our offering (trolling or via indicator) with a hard smack and a rapid pull where the fish gets into our backing before we can even respond. 50' to 70' of line goes out before we can even respond - especially with palming the reel. I am reminded of strikes of Lake Lenice back in the 80's. It happened several times to me on Lake Lenice and I never saw the fish. I have always remembered those takes and wondered how big the fish were to this day... Obviously I did not catch one of them...

Well this last Sunday on a local Western Washington lake it occurred gain. Brought back old memories to say the least. And YES the fish became unbuttoned just like before. The fly was still attached too... I have caught large trout in this lake but they fought differently and I was able to bring them to a net.

So... How big are they? How do you fight them so they do not come of the hook? OR is it what memories are made of?
I’m often suspicious that similar fish I’ve experienced may be foul hooked.

longputt

I've noticed a big difference in salmon when a sea lion is after them. I think the fly is certainly an irritant but the sea lion is about life and death.

tallguy

Agree about foul hooking causing a large fraction of amazing runs and good fish stories. Was night fishing the truckee river with a big sculpin on heavy line, and I got crushed. Monster runs and "can't move it" moments had me convinced of well over 30". Finally got it into the slow water and it was an 18" brown hooked in the dorsal. Beautiful fish, but great disappoinment upon first sight.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
WFF Supporter
These two were at Lenice, 1991 or so trolling a LGF with a G Loomis Signature IMX 6 weight and a SA1 click pawl reel...
This one ripped off a lot of backing; maybe 100', very fast while I palmed it. There it leaped out of the water and nearly into my buddy's-ff mentor's lap. I slowly brought it close (winching myself in?) and it took off again.
1999 June 10 001.jpg

This one took 15 ft of line in the blink of an eye and dogged me on the bottom.
1999 June 10 002.jpg

Last edited:

long_rod_silvers

WFF Supporter

Well this last Sunday on a local Western Washington lake it occurred gain. Brought back old memories to say the least. And YES the fish became unbuttoned just like before. The fly was still attached too... I have caught large trout in this lake but they fought differently and I was able to bring them to a net.

Everything I know about fly fishing I learned from "A River Runs Through It". So based off this, I'd say you need to start swimming downstream after the fish.... Guaranteed to work - just like in the movie.

Yardus Maximus

WFF Supporter
What to do on a run away freight train?

I can recall hooking a monster at the base of "The Wall" that was absolutely kicking my ass off the take. Threw a cast to within 3' of the shear rock face. One strip and game on. The fish ran right at me, went under my PT and headed back to the launch halfway down the lake. 75' of a palm burning run before this behemoth breaches the surface in a spectacular aerial display. I now knew that (A this wasn't a ass biter and B) might be the biggest bow I've ever tied into. The thing then ran another 75' or so of non-stop reel screaming awesomeness now emptying the backing to sections that had never seen the light of day. It was about this time I realized that if I didn't do anything it was going to be all over shortly, with only a few raps of backing left...

While in a panic I remembered something that I had either read or heard about slapping the real to send a vibration shock down the tight line to the fish in hopes of getting it to turn. This fish was seconds from breaking me off and or taking all my line permanently, so what the heck. I slapped that thing hard and sure enough that hog immediately breached again and luckily turned back at me when it reentered the water. With a very soft touch I got about 50' back on the reel before going back to the tug of war. Not sure if it was a coincidence or just luck but it seemed to work and I was rewarded with a 31.5" absolute beast. You know the kind that is half in and half out of the big long handle net. Will see if I can update with a picture of that one... I've used this a few times on Steelhead headed back to the ocean a few times to varying degrees of success.

Anyone else use the slap technique when all else fails?

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info