"Run Away Freight Train"

long_rod_silvers

WFF Supporter
What to do on a run away freight train?

I can recall hooking a monster at the base of "The Wall" that was absolutely kicking my ass off the take. Threw a cast to within 3' of the shear rock face. One strip and game on. The fish ran right at me, went under my PT and headed back to the launch halfway down the lake. 75' of a palm burning run before this behemoth breaches the surface in a spectacular aerial display. I now knew that (A this wasn't a ass biter and B) might be the biggest bow I've ever tied into. The thing then ran another 75' or so of non-stop reel screaming awesomeness now emptying the backing to sections that had never seen the light of day. It was about this time I realized that if I didn't do anything it was going to be all over shortly, with only a few raps of backing left...

While in a panic I remembered something that I had either read or heard about slapping the real to send a vibration shock down the tight line to the fish in hopes of getting it to turn. This fish was seconds from breaking me off and or taking all my line permanently, so what the heck. I slapped that thing hard and sure enough that hog immediately breached again and luckily turned back at me when it reentered the water. With a very soft touch I got about 50' back on the reel before going back to the tug of war. Not sure if it was a coincidence or just luck but it seemed to work and I was rewarded with a 31.5" absolute beast. You know the kind that is half in and half out of the big long handle net. Will see if I can update with a picture of that one... I've used this a few times on Steelhead headed back to the ocean a few times to varying degrees of success.

Anyone else use the slap technique when all else fails?
No, but I'm going to now!!

Northern

It's all good.
WFF Supporter
I could have no backing on all my reels, including the ones I use to fish coho and chum and I may have regretted it one time in the last 5 years. That was when I hooked a big chum hooked in the dorsal.

I think some of you all need to work on your drag game ;).
Well, they're probably not using 15 lb maxima fishing for trout in rivers & lakes!

Rocking Chair Fan

No more hot spotting
I thought it is blasphemy to use anything but click n pawl reels when fishing for trout... At least according to many trout fisher people...

@Northern - I agree whole heartedly with your tippet comment. 5x generally for me...

BTW I do have drag on my LP reels. It is set to prevent backlash and maybe a bit more...

Gary Thompson

dirty dog
For big trout that are running away with all my line and backing, foul hooked or not.
I have found sticking the rod under water or at least all the line under water puts enough of a drag on the fish to get them to turn

Rocking Chair Fan

No more hot spotting
I hear ya but if you have 100 feet of fly line out fighting a trout on 5 or 6x, it’s likely not going to end well. When I lived in CO, I caught lots of 20+inch trout on 5x that never got close to my backing either. I did break off a few though.

I completely agree with you having hundred feet plus line out making it harder to catch the fish. But when a fish violently takes the line and strips out 50 to 75 feet in a couple of seconds it is what it is and with patience we are able to get the fish to the net sometimes.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
WFF Supporter
I could have no backing on all my reels
I thought it is blasphemy to use anything but click n pawl reels when fishing for trout.
Funny, nearly all of my freshwater trout stream fishing for 3 years has been mano e mano with 10' to 13' ft fixed line Tenkara and 14.5' to 17' Keiryu rods that have an astonishing ability to fight fish without the benefit of a reel.

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
I completely agree with you having hundred feet plus line out making it harder to catch the fish. But when a fish violently takes the line and strips out 50 to 75 feet in a couple of seconds it is what it is and with patience we are able to get the fish to the net sometimes.

That is one hell of a trout ripping line that fast. My point was just that we often blame tippet size when presentation is driving refusals and using too light a tippet causes people to overplay trout. I would rather have a trout break off, leaving a size 22 fly in it’s mouth than overplay it for 10 minutes with 7x. Unfortunately, I saw that a ton back when most of my fishing was done in tailwaters.

Peyton00

Years ago, i am working a slot on the lower Satsop with a float/egg setup. The rig dives, i set the hook and is down river in a few seconds.
I am fighting the beast for a few minutes and eventually get enough line back on the reel and the fish comes out of the water like a hot steelie. I see my egg sac stuck in its rear end. It was a bitch to get the fish in and retrieve my hook.
A 12lb+/- chrome coho.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts