First fly rod pelagic on my boat

Bruce Baker

Glad to see a post from you and thanks for sharing @Mingo. Dolphinfish are awesome. Love the coloration on that fish. Look forward to seeing more posts from you.

Mems

MQ4F2jbl.jpg

These are the ones I got on tuesday. All on conventional gear. The mahi now are pretty good sized which is normal for Hawaii this time of year, but there are much bigger ones around now, like the monster I keep seeing when I go to sleep spit my live bait out of his mouth. This big bull has a head at least 3 feet tall. Congrats Mingo on getting one on the fly. Did you get a force? Hope we get some big ahi for X-mas.

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
Way cool Mingo! Nice fish, and I'd like to know more about the boat you got too. You've shared so many tropical fish species over the years, what kind of fish is the young woman in the last photo holding?

And you too, Mems. I think I finally get it; you catch more and larger saltwater fish than Mingo. Good for you.

Mems

Mingo is awesome. It is not a contest, I am just having a tough time dealing with the big mahi that I can't catch. I have been there twice and tried all kinds of techniques and this huge bull just won't get a hook in it. I only posted the pics when I got called out. I already apologized to Mingo in a PM. Love mahi, love Hawaii, love fishing.

Evan Burck

Fudge Dragon
It's just a pattern - instead of partaking in the conversation and talking about the fish originally posted, you try to take the spotlight. Just be happy for whoever posted and start your own thread if you need to share your stuff.

Bruce Baker

Way cool Mingo! Nice fish, and I'd like to know more about the boat you got too. You've shared so many tropical fish species over the years, what kind of fish is the young woman in the last photo holding?

And you too, Mems. I think I finally get it; you catch more and larger saltwater fish than Mingo. Good for you.
I cannot answer your question about what species of fish the young woman is holding, but I am going to guess some type of wrasse.

BearBio

I caught a very large male sheepshead wrasse in SoCal. They mostly eat crab, so you boil it and use it like crab meat. They are born female and change to male. Picture is a large male.

Attachments

• 220px-Sheephead_photo.jpg
    220px-Sheephead_photo.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 21

Mingo

the Menehune stole my beer

It's a Razor Wrasse Salmo. Trippy fish. They bury themselves in sand like a flounder and ambush their prey. Good eating too.

Last edited:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info