Not a Lone on Saturday

dp

~El Pescador
took the 8:30 ferry and was at the lake by 9:00. 3 already on the lake and 4 people gearing up. While I didn't mind sharing the lake, I was not about to share my fish!
Nice day all in all - lots of clouds, some wind at times and a couple of showers, but nothing that got you drenched.
I like the far end of the lake as well as the side that parallels the road. I have found I do just fine trolling bugs versus tossing and retrieving. People were chiro fishing as well as moving around. I would say there were up to 15 people on the lake.
by late morning I started getting some action and was surprised that my first fish landed was 14 inches. so were the next 1/2 dozen. Healthy and strong, but not the bigger ones I caught earlier this season. In the late afternoon I spent more time closer to the launch and the fish seemed to be in the same area, but they were getting bigger: 16, 17 and a solid 18 incher wrapped up the day.
I like Lone. there was plenty of water to share and people were friendly, so I had to be as well.

Attachments

• lone.jpg
    lone.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 103

NW_flyfisher

if it's not this, then what?
took the 8:30 ferry and was at the lake by 9:00. 3 already on the lake and 4 people gearing up. While I didn't mind sharing the lake, I was not about to share my fish!
Nice day all in all - lots of clouds, some wind at times and a couple of showers, but nothing that got you drenched.
I like the far end of the lake as well as the side that parallels the road. I have found I do just fine trolling bugs versus tossing and retrieving. People were chiro fishing as well as moving around. I would say there were up to 15 people on the lake.
by late morning I started getting some action and was surprised that my first fish landed was 14 inches. so were the next 1/2 dozen. Healthy and strong, but not the bigger ones I caught earlier this season. In the late afternoon I spent more time closer to the launch and the fish seemed to be in the same area, but they were getting bigger: 16, 17 and a solid 18 incher wrapped up the day.
I like Lone. there was plenty of water to share and people were friendly, so I had to be as well.
“..so I had to be as well” at least you’re honest
I find most people there are friendly. However, there are a couple super regulars there that give a vibe like they own the lake.

dp

~El Pescador
the people who drive in and talk about the glory days to who ever will listen, kind of get to me as well. I do the nod game as I gear up to get back on the lake.

chris stiemert

WFF Premium
I have also noticed the big ones from spring have not been as common, on average about half were 18” + in May, last few weeks more like 15-20% are the bigger class, with the rest in the 14” or so range - hope that’s just me and my luck

Smalma

Chris -
Losing those large fish over the course of the summer is "normal". Typically Lone is planted with catchable trout (fish a year plus of age) every spring (early April). That plant is usually 3,000 fish at about 10 inches (2. to 2.5/#). Those fish grow relatively quickly once they adapt to the lake and now those fish are 12 to 15 inches in length, By May those fish will likely be 15 to 18 inches in length and will be 2 plus years old and now sexually mature. Between May and the fall most will die due to the stress of the summer water conditions and age. A few of those older fish do make it another year and those are the 20 plus inch fish that are occasionally caught.

As the water temperature moves into the 70s those larger fish really struggle to maintain their weight/condition. In Lone with the general lack of larger food items and no cool water refugia (by mid-June the water temperatures are typically uniform surface to the bottom in even the deepest spots). As the weed beds recovery (saw a lot more pond weed this past season) we can expect to start seeing more damsels, dragons, scuds, and mayflies). The next year may be an interesting time on Lone.

That said there is a very dark cloud on the horizon. With the expected state budget shortfalls WDFW is being asked to contribute with significant budget reductions. Those proposed budget cuts include a number of hatchery closures in Region IV (King, Snohomish, Skagit, Whatcom, San Juan and Island counties). A quick review of 2020 stocking reports indicates that those closures will result in a 60% reduction in the numbers of catchable trout released in region IV lakes.

Curt

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
WFF Premium
Chris -
Losing those large fish over the course of the summer is "normal". Typically Lone is planted with catchable trout (fish a year plus of age) every spring (early April). That plant is usually 3,000 fish at about 10 inches (2. to 2.5/#). Those fish grow relatively quickly once they adapt to the lake and now those fish are 12 to 15 inches in length, By May those fish will likely be 15 to 18 inches in length and will be 2 plus years old and now sexually mature. Between May and the fall most will die due to the stress of the summer water conditions and age. A few of those older fish do make it another year and those are the 20 plus inch fish that are occasionally caught.

As the water temperature moves into the 70s those larger fish really struggle to maintain their weight/condition. In Lone with the general lack of larger food items and no cool water refugia (by mid-June the water temperatures are typically uniform surface to the bottom in even the deepest spots). As the weed beds recovery (saw a lot more pond weed this past season) we can expect to start seeing more damsels, dragons, scuds, and mayflies). The next year may be an interesting time on Lone.

That said there is a very dark cloud on the horizon. With the expected state budget shortfalls WDFW is being asked to contribute with significant budget reductions. Those proposed budget cuts include a number of hatchery closures in Region IV (King, Snohomish, Skagit, Whatcom, San Juan and Island counties). A quick review of 2020 stocking reports indicates that those closures will result in a 60% reduction in the numbers of catchable trout released in region IV lakes.

Curt
I am seriously considering not buying a WA license next time around and just fishing over a border - any border!

Camo Clad Warrior

Awesome report, sounds like a bunch of fun, with a couple fish as well.

I have often thought about towing the boat down there. I live in Sedro-Woolley so generally I stop at Pass.

Looks large enough to row the drift boat around in.

Lance Magnuson

WFF Premium
Chris -

Curt
Hey Curt -

"That plant is usually 3,000 fish at about 10 inches (2. to 2.5/#)."

Would a 10" fish weight 2 -2.5lbs? Maybe .2 -.25lbs?

Lance

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
WFF Premium
Hey Curt -

"That plant is usually 3,000 fish at about 10 inches (2. to 2.5/#)."

Would a 10" fish weight 2 -2.5lbs? Maybe .2 -.25lbs?

Lance
two to two and a half fish per pound.

dp

~El Pescador
plenty of room for a drift boat on the lake. you can use electric motors too. probably 6 row boats on the lake and one drift boat (guy says he usually fishes the Yak).

Go fish.

sroffe

I am seriously considering not buying a WA license next time around and just fishing over a border - any border!
I am kind of stuck on trout, in both fresh and salt water, however, they’re not the only game in town. A person can get creative in pursuing our finny friends.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
WFF Premium
Since I made the above post I have gotten two emails from ODFW!
Coincidence? I think not!

Smalma

WW-
More and more of the anglers I talk with like you are spending greater portion of their "recreational dollars" out of state. With the steady decline in fishing opportunities (especially in the PS area) and little prospect of reversing that trend who can blame them. Like you more than a few are considering giving up on Washington fishing entirely.

While I will continue to buy my license and fish on those fisheries I still enjoy (and can fish) more and more of my recreational time has been in BC and once this virus thing is uncontrol I will be doing a lot more out of state fishing - a very sad state of affairs.

Curt

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts