Last chance.

Bob Rankin

Tuglife
I’ve been tugboating for the last month, so I missed general season deer hunting. I new that when I got off the boat I would be able to hunt the late season whitetail in several units above Spokane.

Sooo....... I had four weeks to plan a public land hunt in an area I’ve never been to or seen. Technology these days is really something else.

I left Friday and hauled ass out to my camp sight, so I could get set up and scout the areas I’d been researching. It was steep, steep country! But I eventually found the spot I wanted to hunt Saturday morning for opening day. I got to my spot at 0600 Saturday morning and waited tell 6:30 to start climbing the mountain in front of me, once on top I start cruising along to find a spot I could sit and glass in all directions. I settled into a good spot. I could see lots of road hunters and even a guy walking an old loging road.

the sun hit the other hillside in front of me at 8:00 on the money and I started seeing deer moving, then a buck stepped out! That was all she wrote. Bullet went right through lungs and heart, just wobbled in place and dropped right where he was standing. I guess sometimes it’s better to be lucky than good:) Homework and patience pays off. It’s also a lot of work when your by yourself! AE042C51-2FBB-478F-B235-B980BF125912.jpeg
D6F3709F-DE2B-4572-A412-18680045A7B0.jpeg 9AB6F84E-391B-4C5F-AD7B-B045C1039700.jpeg A643756B-D91A-45D2-9BC2-78D7514B8897.jpeg 89CC8E61-5AB3-4BE2-A468-526CFC9A5EC3.jpeg

Last edited:

cdnred

Goooooood job Tug...!!! What's on the end of the barrel, looks kind of like a silencer..? What calibre did you use..?

cdnred

Nice looking rifle, especially with the scope. You ever use it for elk, I know there's lots of elk around and they pack a lot of meat..? I used to see moose over in Wyoming but never saw any in Washington so not sure if you've got any there..?

John Dude

Learned skills from George Dickel
Nice looking rifle, especially with the scope. You ever use it for elk, I know there's lots of elk around and they pack a lot of meat..? I used to see moose over in Wyoming but never saw any in Washington so not sure if you've got any there..?
There's a herd of moose in the far NE part of WA. Tags issued only once in a lifetime

cdnred

There's a herd of moose in the far NE part of WA. Tags issued only once in a lifetime
Those moose, now that's a big animal and when they're in rut they can get very dangerous. Surprising that you can be in the deep woods and they'll walk right by you without even making a sound with that big spread of antlers. Up in Canada, they're considered our national animal and during the winter months the moose go hunting. We got some big ones in Ontario..

Attachments

• DSC01807.JPG
    DSC01807.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 38
  • Ontario Moose.jpg
    Ontario Moose.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

Buzzy

Bob - well done! My wife and I drove up to Seven Bays Monday. We spotted quite a few deer along the route and I thought how nice it would be to have venison in the freezer. Take care, thanks for sharing./Pat

Buzzy

Thank you Pat! That is a nice drive heading up that way. I saw tons and tons of turkeys as well.
Forgot about the turkeys - Miles Creston Road, a huge flock (that the right word?) of turkeys. Yesterday I was driving out of Sun Lakes state park and saw a young buck trying to get lucky with a doe, she wasn't having anything to do with it or him.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts