Looking for a Guide for OP Steelhead

KillerDave

Have camera, will travel...
This post brings back floods of good memories from when I was young and totally broke. Did lot's of DIY trips back in the 80's & early 90's up on Vancouver Island for steelhead.

Back then the two big advantages I had was I had time and I was tough, meaning I could camp out in the winter time for a whole week and not die from exposure. Usually our DIY trips would last 9 days. We'd spend the first 3 days figuring things out and catching a few. If the river didn't blow out we'd spend the rest of the trip putting a beating on the fish. We were gear fishing back then, which is a way more efficient way to explore and cover tons of water. If limited to fly fishing I'd say the learning phase would last the first 5 or 6 days and then hopefully we'd get on the fish the last couple days.

Good luck!

Phil Fravel

Friendly
Hello all,

My friends and I are looking for a cheap guide to take us fishing in the Olympic Peninsula for steelhead this December. We are in college and are relatively broke so sub $250 for the three of us is what we are looking for. Totally fine with walk/wade instead of using a drift boat. Would greatly appreciate any connections any of you might have!

Oliver
Call Anil at Puget sound Fly co. He has just what your looking for

Rivelo

Save the guide money and use it on a motel room for a few days, and just fish the area where the calawa meets the bogachiel. Will be hatchery fish coming through pretty consistently.
Thanks. Really considering just doing that then as catching them on your own is the true sport of it all and a guide sorta feels like cheating.

Rivelo

I second Gary's advice. If you can't afford a good guide then don't get one. Then you can spend your guide money on booze and weed. This way if you come away skunked you won't care. I think it's a smarter use of funds. I couldn't imagine steelhead fishing in 2020 sober.
The guys have seen your post and agree this is the way to go lol.

Rivelo

This post brings back floods of good memories from when I was young and totally broke. Did lot's of DIY trips back in the 80's & early 90's up on Vancouver Island for steelhead.

Back then the two big advantages I had was I had time and I was tough, meaning I could camp out in the winter time for a whole week and not die from exposure. Usually our DIY trips would last 9 days. We'd spend the first 3 days figuring things out and catching a few. If the river didn't blow out we'd spend the rest of the trip putting a beating on the fish. We were gear fishing back then, which is a way more efficient way to explore and cover tons of water. If limited to fly fishing I'd say the learning phase would last the first 5 or 6 days and then hopefully we'd get on the fish the last couple days.

Good luck!
Yeah I'm thinking I'll have some of us gear fishing and some fly fishing just to up our chances to the maximum. Thankfully we are all super motivated and have learned the journey is at least 50% of the fun. Thank you.

sroffe

all and a guide sorta feels like cheating.
Yes and no. If you can afford a guide, and one that is willing to mentor you, it will lower the learning curve on how to fish those rivers. I honestly would have floundered and given up on fishing for steelhead if it wasn't for the various guides I've fished with. I have learned from just about every one of them, (with one exception)

My buddy and I have tossed around owning a boat and doing it our selves or fishing with a guide, it always seems more cost-effective to fish with a guide.

As far as your budget goes, I probably would do what the other guys have suggested and put that towards a room and strike out on your own.

Last edited:

Rivelo

Die Hard you are (or were) ! I probably would have done that when I was younger, but, I am a late bloomer to the steelhead game.

Finding a good guide for 250 bucks might be tough. 250 might get you 1/2 a day with some one.

Yes and no. If you can afford a guide, and one that is willing to mentor you, it will lower the learning curve on how to fish those rivers.

My buddy and I have tossed around owning a boat and doing it our selves or fishing with a guide, it always seems more cost-effective to fish with a guide.
Might be worth it to just go for a half a day then so that we have at least some idea of what we should be doing. We wanna wade instead of float so that should help with the cost right?

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts