Winter Travelling Adventure

Starman77

Winter travelling conditions have arrived, so be prepared if you're heading over the pass... On the way to the lake yesterday I had freezing rain almost cover my windshield near Kittitas; surprised to only see a couple of vehicles spun off the road. On the way home, the pass was closed for two hours to clear all the vehicles that had spun out in a heavy snowstorm. In spite of the cold, ice, snow, fog and freezing rain, fishing was ok for November.

20201110_095444 20.jpg

That's @Buzzy in the pram. He and I had the lake to ourselves all day, except for a couple of hikers. Pat caught the biggest fish of the day, a 24 inch rainbow that he estimated at 5 pounds. But, I got the biggest brown of the day, a nice 20 incher:

IMGP5563 20.jpg

This chart slows the sizes of the fish I landed on this outing. You want to think quality, not quantity at this lake.

Fish Size Distribution 2020-11-10.jpg

The rainbows are all very husky, even the 12 inchers. Here's a photo of one of the nice rainbows:

IMGP5564 20.jpg

The algae bloom has pretty much disappeared with the colder temperatures and the water visibility is now about 10 feet. The water temperature has cooled down to 46 degrees, so wear your warmest wool socks.

Rex

dp

~El Pescador
nice report. I plan to head east a couple more times before the end of the month

wanative

Retired, gone fishin'
Winter travelling conditions have arrived, so be prepared if you're heading over the pass... On the way to the lake yesterday I had freezing rain almost cover my windshield near Kittitas; surprised to only see a couple of vehicles spun off the road. On the way home, the pass was closed for two hours to clear all the vehicles that had spun out in a heavy snowstorm. In spite of the cold, ice, snow, fog and freezing rain, fishing was ok for November.

View attachment 260346

That's @Buzzy in the pram. He and I had the lake to ourselves all day, except for a couple of hikers. Pat caught the biggest fish of the day, a 24 inch rainbow that he estimated at 5 pounds. But, I got the biggest brown of the day, a nice 20 incher:

View attachment 260347

This chart slows the sizes of the fish I landed on this outing. You want to think quality, not quantity at this lake.

View attachment 260348

The rainbows are all very husky, even the 12 inchers. Here's a photo of one of the nice rainbows:

View attachment 260349

The algae bloom has pretty much disappeared with the colder temperatures and the water visibility is now about 10 feet. The water temperature has cooled down to 46 degrees, so wear your warmest wool socks.

Rex
Thanks Rex. Beautiful trout and fishing hole.

Starman77

If I ever catch a brown like that they will hear me in Soap Lake :D
Hey, Billy... I released that brown, so it is still there for the catching, although it looked like quite the intelligent brown, and didn't look like it had been fooled very often. I'd guess that there are quite a few more browns in this lake than we think, but they are just really hard to catch. When you say "they" do you mean the Soap Lake girls that you're so popular with? :)

b_illymac

Soap Lake Posse
WFF Moderator
Hey, Billy... I released that brown, so it is still there for the catching, although it looked like quite the intelligent brown, and didn't look like it had been fooled very often. I'd guess that there are quite a few more browns in this lake than we think, but they are just really hard to catch. When you say "they" do you mean the Soap Lake girls that you're so popular with? :)
The Soap Lake girls watch me from the observatory Rex. It's a big party when I hit that lake! :D

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts