Point No Point Baot Ramp Update

Nov. 12, 2020

Fellow boaters, fisher-men and women, and park enthusiasts!

Another public saltwater park is nearing completion! The WDFW permit application for a replacement boat ramp and park facility at Point No Point (Hansville) was filed with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers over seven years ago. The Regulatory Branch of the Seattle District Office’s new Commander (Col. Bullock) has set a deadline of January, 2021 to decide if they will award the last remaining permit to finish the boat ramp.

A detailed history of new park and boat launch can be found at https://pointnopointramp.com . All inland development has been completed: paved parking, new rest rooms, ADA access and sidewalks, and street lights were installed at a cost of over $3 million. The only component missing is…the single-lane boat ramp!

With great anticipation, we await the USACE’s January approval of the final permit to allow completion of the park and boat launch at Point No Point so that sportsmen, tribal fishermen, first responders, recreational boaters, and the public can begin using this brand new facility as soon possible.

Thank you for supporting this project with us to its completion!

Sincerely,

The PNP Advocacy Groups:

Bremerton Sportsmen’s Club
Kitsap Poggie Club
Coastal Conservation Association
Puget Sound Anglers
NW Marine Trade Association
Washington Maritime Federation
Kitsap Parks Advocates

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
Is there anything we can do to help between now and January?
Remind Col Bullock that mitigation for prospective negative impacts has already occurred and that the Corps represesnts all Americans and not just the Suquamish tribe, who still oppose it but want to use it. (Edited to correct an error. Other tribes did oppose the ramp but have withdrawn their opposition, as per Mark Larson.)

Last edited:

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
Too bad it didn’t get built when people could have used it.....like back when there was actually a winter BM season in MA 9.

I’d like to hear the back story with who got paid what to move this permitting process forward after a long stalemate.

The parking lot gate had been locked for a bit now due to “illegal activity”.
Anyone know if it is still locked?
SF

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
Too bad it didn’t get built when people could have used it.....like back when there was actually a winter BM season in MA 9.

I’d like to hear the back story with who got paid what to move this permitting process forward after a long stalemate.

The parking lot gate had been locked for a bit now due to “illegal activity”.
Anyone know if it is still locked?
SF

My wife and I drove down to PnP the other day just goofing around. The gate was open when we drove by

JayB

Remind Col Bullock that mitigation for prospective negative impacts has already occurred and that the Corps represesnts all Americans and not just the PNP tribes, who have been the singular opponents to the boat ramp.
Would love to see a wikleaks style expose' that laid bare all of the bureaucratic subterfuge that held this project up for ~20 years.

Would probably reveal quite a bit about how the NOF process works at the Federal level and make Mexico look like a model of probity and good governance.

Jim Darden

Seven years to get a permit, no wonder things are so expensive! They should have just done the work without a permit and asked for forgiveness!

""I’d like to hear the back story with who got paid what to move this permitting process forward after a long stalemate.""

No backstory here. The signing members of the update are responsible, and a big hand to wdfw and to Region 6 as well. See their letters at the web site.

Stonefish:. No illegal activity, although some claimed that. The real reason was Kitsap county and wdfw have a MOU for operation, and they could not get that coordinated. Then the summer droves hit the park, and they were unprepared for the volume (bathroom not serviced, parking without a Discover Pass)... Really just a bunch of nonsense.
" Hey, there's no parking available at Point No Point, so let's close our new, $3 million parking lot!"

Makes a lotta sense, right?

Outside of salmon season, they need to let people park there free to alleviate parking pressure for the neighborhood. It's like not letting people park at a church on a Wednesday... Who cares?

My son was fishing the beach there a couple years ago. Left his discover pass in the glove box because he was the only car in the 63 car lot. Got a$100 ticket.

I trust they'll have an operational agreement defined when spring traffic rolls around again.

Last edited:

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
""I’d like to hear the back story with who got paid what to move this permitting process forward after a long stalemate.""

No backstory here. The signing members of the update are responsible, and a big hand to wdfw and to Region 6 as well. See their letters at the web site.

ok, if you say so.
Seems odd that one major user group was adamant and was one of the key opponents to this which lead to the delay.
So did they sign off on this? I don’t see their name listed but it does mention they’ll be using the launch.

I’m not saying anything illegal happened.
Getting paid doesn’t always mean the exchange of money.
Maybe I’m wrong. Maybe we’ll find out next year after NOF.....
I guess we’ll wait and see.
SF

The Suquamish Tribe still objects to the ramp, although they have indicated they want to use it. The other tribes have removed their objections.

Last edited:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts