Glove Recommendations

jaredoconnor

WFF Supporter
Hey folks

I am in need of glove recommendations. I don't need them to be super warm, but they need to be waterproof and thin enough that I can tie knots. I noticed @Stonefish wears nitrile gloves, with a liner under them. That's my backup plan, but does anyone know of a better solution? I haven't been able to find anything, thus far.

Thanks!

Last edited:

DrHare

The Coho King
Nitrile? For covid eggs or flyfishing? Buy some good fleece, still protect if wet, and wash if handling fish. I like orvis half fingers, grips so you can cast. Also fleece with finger cover option. Best buy too

speedbird49

I was just about to post the same thing. I spent the day at the beach and when I came back my fingers were swelling up and could barely move. I have been out of the cold for four hours and they still aren't quite right. Without windchill, it was 47 degrees today, so not that cold. A lot of folks recommend polypro or wool liner along with nitrile gloves, but I am not sure if that will keep me warm. So far anything that keeps me warm leaves me with zero dexterity, and anything that gives me dexterity gives me no warmth.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
I was just about to post the same thing. I spent the day at the beach and when I came back my fingers were swelling up and could barely move. I have been out of the cold for four hours and they still aren't quite right. Without windchill, it was 47 degrees today, so not that cold. A lot of folks recommend polypro or wool liner along with nitrile gloves, but I am not sure if that will keep me warm. So far anything that keeps me warm leaves me with zero dexterity, and anything that gives me dexterity gives me no warmth.

Keeping your hands dry is key and that is where the nitriles shine. With a thin liner and nitriles over them, I’ve fished down into the teens and been pretty comfortable.
Everyone is different but I’ve never had a dexterity issue with that combo and can still tie knots with them on.
SF

Last edited:

speedbird49

Keeping your hand dry is key and that is where the nitriles shine. With a thin liner and nitriles over them, I’ve fished down into the teens and been pretty comfortable.
Everyone is different but I’ve never had a dexterity issue with that combo and can still tie knots with them on.
SF
Will pick some liners up!

Hookset

WFF Supporter
I’ve been using nitriles over liners and will pull on fingerless fleece gloves for extra warmth. Fingers stay dry and remain exposed for tying knots. Tying knots with nitriles is an interesting experience. I typically tie up before gloving up.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
I thought I’d post this since this subject has come up quite a bit lately. This might be helpful to some folks.

In regards to glove liners, I’ve found two different types of polypropylene liners.
There are kind of open knit ones (right glove) and ones that are smooth (left glove), almost like running tights.
The smooth ones work infinitely better in my opinion.
They seem to be warmer, less bulky, easier to get the nitriles over and way easier to tie knots. YMMV
The merino wool liners I use are also smooth.

That’s your glove liner geek out for the evening. ;)
SF

FB54D96C-63FD-4065-AB77-7A1781EB6C29.jpeg

Buzzy

I thought I’d post this since this subject has come up quite a bit lately. This might be helpful to some folks.

In regards to glove liners, I’ve found two different types of polypropylene liners.
There are kind of open knit ones (right glove) and ones that are smooth (left glove), almost like running tights.
The smooth ones work infinitely better in my opinion.
They seem to be warmer, less bulky, easier to get the nitriles over and way easier to tie knots. YMMV
The merino wool liners I use are also smooth.

That’s your glove liner geek out for the evening. ;)
SF

View attachment 261931
I haven't tried thin liners under my nitrile globes simply because I need to buy XL nitrile instead of L - so I currently use fingerless WOOL gloves above the nitrile - and I tuck a hot hand onto the back of my hand between the wool and nitrile. Not perfect but it works. And I have learned how to tie flies, change flies and even fix a leader - taking off the wool fingerless helps a lot. And @Stonefish is right, keeping my hands dry is imperative.

Thanks Brian - upsizing gloves tomorrow.

Salvy

Been steelhead fishing once
Nitrile is the way to go. Just introduced to my buddy in Missoula and he had the, "damn, it's so obvious" look on his face. Thanks Stonefish.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts