New COVID restrictions for Washington and Oregon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Huffman

Driven by irrational exuberance.
I just read the “COVID-19 Guidance“, Nov. 15, from Washington State. Nothing about fishing closures. It got me thinking back to early this year when Washington closed all freshwater fishing, and then Oregon closed freshwater fishing to non-residents. Why was it so damn important to close it then, and why is it fine to stay open now? It seems to me all the metrics are worse now than back in March. Can someone help me find that pontification from the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife director back in the Spring justifying their closure?

Mickeyd

Humor me...
Back then, it was found that the covid virus was being transmitted through fishing tackle. It had been determined that it was perfectly safe to go for a boat ride but if you came into contact with tackle while doing so you could easily get the disease.
Since then the virus has mutated and is no longer being transmitted via tackle.
Fish on!

Gyrfalcon21

Honoring Vets
Humor me...
Back then, it was found that the covid virus was being transmitted through fishing tackle. It had been determined that it was perfectly safe to go for a boat ride but if you came into contact with tackle while doing so you could easily get the disease.
Fish on!
The logic is odd, yeah? I think it was the back ups at Wal-Mart sporting goods buying bullets, worms and spinners they were far more afraid of than the boats on the lake.

2020 is something I wish Stephen Hawkins was here to explain to us all..like I understood much of what he said anyway.

Charles Sullivan

There were a bunch of things different in March as far as what we knew about the virus. There was very little testing available in March. Really, very little was known with regards to the scope of the problem, the way it is transmitted etc.
As time has gone on, it seems like West coast leaders have tried a more sugical approach using all the available info as more is known. The approach in the spring was a blunt approach to shut down as many activities that could lead to more contacts. This was mostly due to a lack of knowledge. Now more attention is being paid to what sort of contact and in what location because they know a lot more about how it spreads.
There are less outdoor options now given the weather. I suspect you won't see outside activities shut down provided they don't also lead to inside activities (high school sports).
It's going to be a tough winter. I'm off to get my every other week test now.

Go Sox,
cds

Teal101

At that time we were all under stay at home orders. Seems like as we have learned more about how this transmits we have realized that outdoor activities are mostly OK.
Why did the boat ramps and pleasure boating not be mandated to shut down then as well? Was really awesome being able to take my boat out, but heaven forbid I touch the tackle in it while I'm on the water...

flybill

A collector never stops collecting!
WFF Supporter
Humor me...
Fish on!
I know you're joking, or trying to but it had nothing to do with this, it was all about keeping the enforcement officers and fish checkers out on the water. The boating thing made no sense, but I assume the boating lobby is bigger than the fly fishing or spey fishing for steelhead on the swing is! I hope to get out during the lockdown, and may, however I have to make sure what is actually open to fish. I won't be wearing a mask, since I'll be smoking a fine cigar to keep you at least 20 feet away!

jwg

fishing was also leading to a lot of travel across state locations.
and concentrations of nonlocal people in low population areas that did not want outsiders bringing the virus

really, hindsight on this is more rhetorical than useful.

there is light at the end of the tunnel with vaccine news, but we are still in the tunnel and will be for months to come.

I for one and hoping to never have this virus, I fear long term health consequences more than dying from it, and I will continue to practice defensive social distancing and mask wearing, and avoid or minimize time inside spaces that are not my home, as much as possible.

I am becoming adept at Home Depot on line ordering and curbside pickup.

j

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
Can someone help me find that pontification from the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife director back in the Spring justifying their closure?
It's not that complicated. In fact it is rather simple. As others have stated, very little was known about the virus in March, and much more is known now. The simple part: Gov. Inslee knows slightly less than nothing about recreational fishing. He interpreted fishing as fishing on charter boats, which are crowded and where community spread is a highly likely possibility. He saw photos of sport fishing at a stocked put-and-take lake where people were lined up next to each other in lawn chairs along a lakeshore, again, a situation where community spread is pretty likely. He also lumped in clam digging, with the large crowds that draws to the ocean beaches, thereby overwhelming the resources in small coastal communities. Exercising the cautionary principle, even citing an abundance of caution, the Governor thought it made sense to close sport fishing. Only in hindsight was he able to put 2 and 2 together and notice the obvious inconsistency of urging people to go outdoors and go boating (with close family members) but that they should not drop a fishing line in the water while out boating.

The other simple part, Director Susewind is a better follower than he is a leader. When the Gov. said fishing should be closed, Susewind is not the kind of leader to point out that closing some fishing alternatives and not others and push back at the Governor even a little bit. That doesn't seem to be in his nature. He doubles down on weakness at nearly every opportunity. One might say that I'm not his biggest fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts