Hi!!

Anadromous

WFF Supporter
Welcome. Best sport there is. Work hard at it and you'll be rewarded!

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
Welcome. I hope your pockets are deep as this can cost you a bundle. Because if you get to liking it you will need a rod for every kind of fish. I only have 8 rods but some on here have a way lot more.

wetline dave

A decent 6 weight rod leaning towards a medium action will work for most fishing within reason. For salmon and the mythical steelhead not so much.

Keep it simple and learn how to use your rod to its fullest potential. I fish a Scott V2 for almost all my fishing for trout and even larger ones, and would take on a summer run is certain circumstances. it will handle dries nicely and streamers that aren't overly weighted and not terrible at bobber and nymphs. It will handle long casts but still present in close and stable to be accurate which really is what the game is all about.

You can build a huge quiver and spend a lot of cash doing so but in my view it is best to get a rod that works for you and get comfortable with it. Once you know that rod if you really think something else is the next best thing to bubble gum then go for it.

Switching between rods every week or so will not help your casting in most instances unless your base rod just isn't the rod for you.

Dave

KerryS

Ignored Member
Welcome. Some of the best fly fishermen/women in the northwest are here. Also a few like me who can barely get out of our own way to catch a fish. Some outstanding photographers on here also.

My suggestion is learn to cast. Everything begins with the cast. If you can, take a few lessons from a certified instructor. Your preferred fly shop can put you in touch with an instructor. The lessons will be worth the price and will shorten the learning curve considerably. Casting instructors are usually knowledgeable fishermen also and will teach you a lot about the act of fishing as you learn to cast.

matchafish

A decent 6 weight rod leaning towards a medium action will work for most fishing within reason. For salmon and the mythical steelhead not so much.

Keep it simple and learn how to use your rod to its fullest potential. I fish a Scott V2 for almost all my fishing for trout and even larger ones, and would take on a summer run is certain circumstances. it will handle dries nicely and streamers that aren't overly weighted and not terrible at bobber and nymphs. It will handle long casts but still present in close and stable to be accurate which really is what the game is all about.

You can build a huge quiver and spend a lot of cash doing so but in my view it is best to get a rod that works for you and get comfortable with it. Once you know that rod if you really think something else is the next best thing to bubble gum then go for it.

Switching between rods every week or so will not help your casting in most instances unless your base rod just isn't the rod for you.

Dave
I've picked up a 9ft 6wt Echo Ion and also hope to get more used to learning more about it before I splurge on anything else. I definitely already feel shopper's envy, I want to buy nearly every cool looking rod I see haha, my bank account would not be happy.

Thank you for the advice!

Seabull

That's why they call it fishin' and not...
If you're just picking up flyfishing, you might want to take casting lesson at through Avid Angler or Emerald Waters.
Emerald Water Anglers has a great Women’s fly fishing program.

East Coaster

Welcome! One thing you should keep in mind is that as the weather and water get colder, the fish will be less active and generally more difficult to catch. And, since you'll be colder, it will be easy to get discouraged. Hang in there, and the time you put in now learning basics (casting, just getting set-up in general, places to go, etc.) will give you a much better chance at being successful when conditions improve. Good luck!

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
I've picked up a 9ft 6wt Echo Ion and also hope to get more used to learning more about it before I splurge on anything else. I definitely already feel shopper's envy, I want to buy nearly every cool looking rod I see haha, my bank account would not be happy.

Thank you for the advice!

That is a excellent choice in rods for beach fishing plus other local fishing you might do.
It is a good choice for searun cutthroat.
It will also easily handle just about any beach salmon you’re likely to hook up except in maybe a few circumstances regardless of what others will tell you.
Have fun.
SF

Merle

That is a excellent choice in rods for beach fishing plus other local fishing you might do.
It is a good choice for searun cutthroat.
It will also easily handle just about any beach salmon you’re likely to hook up except in maybe a few circumstances regardless of what others will tell you.
Have fun.
SF
Was going to say the exact same thing!

Andy

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts