Simms Warranty Disappointment

PezVela

I had a pair of Simms G3's for about 5-6 years, and the booties started to leak. The waders were a mess... but I sent them back anyway, hoping they'd give me a deal on a new set. They replaced everything from below the knees for the $60! (I still use them) Simms are the best!!

Bruce Baker

Search for 281Z Hiking Warm 6 inch Liners Boot Socks on Amazon. Remember to oversize them to go over the booties.
Thank you very much!

While waiting to hear back from you, I did do a Google search to see what I would come up with and I came up with the same socks on Amazon, but 8-inchers. :) I have one pair of waders that have booties sized 10-12 and another pair that are sized 11-13, so I will be going with the XLs.

chief

Follow up to my original post. I received the repaired waders back from Simms, and while I still contend the problem should have been considered a manufacturing defect, I will give Simms credit. They didn't just band aid the problem. They replaced the defective booties with brand new ones, so at least I received some value for the fee I paid. I am satisfied....

IMG_1572.JPG

flybill

A collector never stops collecting!
WFF Supporter
I haven't been screwed out of anything.

And what I was referring to is this trend that thankfully has come to an end where someone buys a fly rod, beats the hell out of it for 10yrs until it breaks and expects the company to replace it at their expense. I'm glad that's over and consumers should be as well. That cost was being passed down and was about to become completely unsustainable.

Maybe me ranting on here isn't the best look, but I think it needs to be said as the industry has been a bit too diplomatic on these matters and it's come back to bite us all in the ass in a big way the last couple years.

also, in case I wasn't clear: I consider getting 5yrs of hard fishing out of a set of waders to be pretty damn spectacular. That deserves my repeat business.
You should see the stuff returned at Orvis when I worked there! 10 year old waders, boots beat to hell, sandal's too! Old sweaters with holes in them.. I mean really old! We had a book of old catalogs just to find some of the old items. Fly rods, that people just didn't take care of and came in with a broken tip or worse!

I've broken two rods, three if you count snapping off the tip of a gear rod in a door.. I've destroyed waders, once caught my Dan Bailey's on a barb wire fence trying to step over it! I did keep fishing, as it was only the outer layer.. they went in the garbage when I got home!

I love my G4's with one exception, the feet are a bit tight, the neoprene. Makes them hard to take off! I've thought of having the booties replaced, but haven't fished much in the past couple of years. I'll just get a lighter pair and alternate as necessary. While I don't scramble up and down hills to get to spots as much, my G4's have been awesome! If I need to send them in, I will. I dry them out and store them and my boots and belts well.

Anyway, everyone has different experiences, but as Evan said the industry is changing. The $60 covers the shipping, plus a little more for Simms. Everything is more expensive! Sucks, but it's nice to have the ability to ship them back and get them fixed or repaired. Hopefully it doesn't take too long, that's my only real issue, since I have one pair of waders for now..

Bill

DanielOcean

Follow up to my original post. I received the repaired waders back from Simms, and while I still contend the problem should have been considered a manufacturing defect, I will give Simms credit. They didn't just band aid the problem. They replaced the defective booties with brand new ones, so at least I received some value for the fee I paid. I am satisfied....

Did you learn your lesson? I still have not gotten my payment yet. Did you not receive the bill?

flybill

A collector never stops collecting!
WFF Supporter
One good thing about reading this thread, I email Simms today about getting bigger neoprene booties on my G4's! I won't hear back until next week and it depends on how much it costs, but I might do it! They've been great and I take care of them. I'll send DO a picture and get his approval!! ;) :p :cool: :D

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
Internet Bully = 5'6", 140lbs and a dick the size of my pinky.......
Ouch chief, below the belt. Literally.

We all know how to hurt D. Ocean. Respond with pictures of Andy Garcia or steelhead you’ve caught. Dealers choice.

Squamishpoacher

I've had several pairs of Redington where the tape has delaminated. Four pairs they replaced without question but they pumped the brakes on the 5th pair and I have to send them in for a look.

I bought Orvis Pro and so far, so good after about 50 days use. Orvis do have a great return policy. Take them back where you bought them. The dealer calls the dealer department for a return authorization and fills out a form with that number on it. To that form is attached a cutout piece from the waders showing the model and size. They then ship your new waders to the store and you pay a nominal handling/shipping fee. If the store has that boot in stock you may just be given a replacement then and there.

I hope the Pros hold up. No waders I've seen lately are indestructible. Guys I know say, "My Simms are 8 years old and they've been great!"

That's because they made them better then. I have a friend who cashed in his $200 Wardell breathables recently after 12 years of use. They looked like shit. But they kept him dry.

dustinchromers

One good thing about reading this thread, I email Simms today about getting bigger neoprene booties on my G4's! I won't hear back until next week and it depends on how much it costs, but I might do it! They've been great and I take care of them. I'll send DO a picture and get his approval!! ;) :p :cool: :D

I always order my waders with larger booties or get them replaced with larger on the first servicing. I currently own three pair of their waders and they are all over seven years old. They don't really leak and are in great shape. I've had some for longer and the fabric eventually just gave our. I like the fact they repair. I spend more up front but way less overall and have the same well fit wader that has proper foot size for the duration.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts