20/21 ski season

Snopro

No Thanks. I wonder how many have reserved parking spots and how many are drop offs? Glad to have our parking first come, first served.

Swimmy

Practice your craft.
WFF Supporter
A modest 5" overnight at Big Sky made for another fun morning.

DSC_1204.jpg

The past two weeks have been some kind of fun.

Swimmy

Practice your craft.
WFF Supporter
Busy day at the Resort. 3" overnight and people just itching to get out made for some longer than average lift lines.

Tried to break away from the tourist mobs and headed into the Alpine to play mtn goat. Snow was great. Low density powder that collected in the gullies and skied deeper that 3"

IMG_1372.jpg

Once things settled down on the lower mtn we headed for the trees.

DSC_1562.jpg

WAS

Crap, we got up here late afternoon to skied out 7" medium pow that rattled my bones. Might drop some new overnight but expecting mostly cords for carving tomorrow and Monday. Little kids did great this evening and oldest willing to ride to top with me tomorrow. It's all relevant at this stage. You have recently hit the M Lode and that's MT, for sure. The BC scene around Schweitzer is not good with several new hoar frost layers the past ten days or so. We have deep pow where we like to go in the Clearwater Range in ID but doubtfull we can even sled in there. Keep the pics coming, I like!

Swimmy

Practice your craft.
WFF Supporter
Skied Big Mtn in Whitefish yesterday. First time and we really had a nice time. Warm, no wind, and lots of sun.

The views from the summit looking into Glacier Nat'l Park were spectacular.

DSC_1749.jpg

Snow was soft and by end of day became mush. But it wasn't hard finding nice snow and I almost forgot how fun spring skiing can be.

DSC_1650.jpg

DSC_1796.jpg

Canuck from Kansas

WFF Supporter
Skied Big Mtn in Whitefish yesterday. First time and we really had a nice time. Warm, no wind, and lots of sun.

DSC_1749.jpg

Snow was soft and by end of day became mush. But it wasn't hard finding nice snow and I almost forgot how fun spring skiing can be.

DSC_1650.jpg

DSC_1796.jpg

Looks like a great day.

That's one thing about the skiing back east - spring corn snow, it's incredibly fun. My experience in the west (Whistler-Blackcomb) is more like porridge.

cheers

jreising326

Whistler is a bit of an Enigma due to it's low base elevation and exposure to Pineapple Clippers.

I grew up back east skiing on "Pocono Powder" which is like Black Ice. Learning to ski on that, well you can ski on anything. IMHO the best corn snow is anywhere in the west when the weather is warm and sunny in the day, and not too low overnight to keep things frozen until Lunch Time. Skiing Corn Snow Moguls in the proper conditions is amazingly fun and forgiving, and those conditions are best found out west.

I think the "porridge" snow comes from warming up too fast on snow that wasn't hardpacked enough first, so a big dump of wet snow followed by rain or really warm conditions does that, and Whistler can be like that just like the Sierra's. Go a little further inland though, where the storms cool over the desert before hitting the mountains and it's a different story. Nice Dry Powder and still sunny warm days this time of year.

I need to go skiing! :)

Canuck from Kansas

WFF Supporter
Whistler is a bit of an Enigma due to it's low base elevation and exposure to Pineapple Clippers.

I grew up back east skiing on "Pocono Powder" which is like Black Ice. Learning to ski on that, well you can ski on anything. IMHO the best corn snow is anywhere in the west when the weather is warm and sunny in the day, and not too low overnight to keep things frozen until Lunch Time. Skiing Corn Snow Moguls in the proper conditions is amazingly fun and forgiving, and those conditions are best found out west.

I think the "porridge" snow comes from warming up too fast on snow that wasn't hardpacked enough first, so a big dump of wet snow followed by rain or really warm conditions does that, and Whistler can be like that just like the Sierra's. Go a little further inland though, where the storms cool over the desert before hitting the mountains and it's a different story. Nice Dry Powder and still sunny warm days this time of year.

I need to go skiing! :)
Yup, grew up on the eastern blue of Mont Tremblant - you sure learn to carve a turn. One of these days...

cheers

WAS

DSC_1749.jpg

DSC_1650.jpg

DSC_1796.jpg
It's been several years but we used to take our kids up. Is the Statue of Mary still there? Great spring mtn., wide open runs, lotsa space. A stop at Quinn's Hot Springs north of St Regis completed the adventure.

I've got at least one more trip to Schweitzer this weekend, then Sun Valley all next week. Got the boat out this afternoon for a final check. It won't be long!

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts