20/21 ski season

Swimmy

Practice your craft.
WFF Supporter
Decent spring storm cycle. Over the past few days we've picked up 12-18". Got out today for a few turns.

001(41).jpg

Southern aspects were a little heavy but skiable.

DSC_2505.jpg

Northern aspects were blower

DSC_2236.jpg

Roger Stephens

Telemark turns which i made many years ago on the west side of Mazama Ridge on Mt. Rainier near Paradise. During that period I telemark skied every month for 6 years in a row. Camp Muir down to to Paradise with 4500 vertical feet was my favorite trip. Telmark skiing off of of Mt. St. Helens(before and after eruption) and Mt. Adams were epic trips most year.

Roger P1010618[1].JPG

Snopro

Great turns, even better considering the gear you were on. What was skiing St. Helen's like pre eruption? Did you go up in April or early May that year?

JayB

Heirloom quality powder 8's! What year was that? I think you get triple bonus points for executing them with tele skis that were probably 75mm underfoot.

Your ski descents make me wonder who got the last full ski descent of Mt. Saint Helens.

JayB

Decent spring storm cycle. Over the past few days we've picked up 12-18". Got out today for a few turns.

001(41).jpg

Southern aspects were a little heavy but skiable.

DSC_2505.jpg

Northern aspects were blower

DSC_2236.jpg
Dope. I'll be the first to admit that I'm extremely envious.

Roger Stephens

Great turns, even better considering the gear you were on. What was skiing St. Helen's like pre eruption? Did you go up in April or early May that year?

I tele skied off of St. Helens (southwest side) in mid-May 1978 and 1979. The 1978 descend was bad as I skied down in mid-afternoon and the snow was deep mush which made making turns very difficult. In 1979 I descended mid-morning with excellent corn snow before the sun turned the snow to mush.
Heirloom quality powder 8's! What year was that? I think you get triple bonus points for executing them with tele skis that were probably 75mm underfoot.

Your ski descents make me wonder who got the last full ski descent of Mt. Saint Helens.
The tele skis used were probably 45 mm. as you noted. I used Atomic, Rossignol, and Chouinard(now Black Diamond) skis. The Chouinard were by far the best skis plus their tele bindings and boots were also the best.

Roger

Last edited:

Swimmy

Practice your craft.
WFF Supporter
Trying to squeeze out the last day or two of this year. Was optimistic to see that Big Sky got 3" so I headed down.

Unfortunately conditions were pretty sketch. Snow was very inconsistent. Slide for life for a turn, right into slabs that would grab your ski, destroy a knee.

Tram was closed, Turkey Traverse closed, Country Club/Highway closed.

Some zones looked and skied ok

DSC_2668.jpg

But there was a lot of this.

DSC_2608.jpg

It probably got better as the day went on but I was out by noon. Oof.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts