20/21 ski season

nwbobber

At this point our home area is not imposing restrictions other than limiting the number of people on the chairs if they are not sharing a household. I normally teach there, but not sure if I want to this year, especially if the overflow from the use restricted areas all show up at ours. Teaching is fun, until the staff can't keep up with the demand, keep the class sizes down etc. Retired and over 60, so really don't need the money or the virus.
The snow situation is looking great for the next several weeks, and I can't wait to mess some up.

WAS

Schweitzer opened the Lakeview quad Sat and yesterday for season pass holders. Did my three laps in the morning, got fed up with half the folks not wearing masks in line or even try to keep some space between, and spent the rest of the morning glissading down snow banks with my grand daughters which was way more fun for this old guy. My thoughts are they have sold a hell of a lot of season passes up there and day tickets will be few and far between. The good is there's a lot of acreage and I hope to be a ski hermit on the hill. My SIL says this is the year we head over the top and do some bc work. Pass the batteries, please!

Snopro

got fed up with half the folks not wearing masks in line or even try to keep some space between
Idaho's gonna Idaho? I'm curious to see how it plays out locally.

La Nina + tons of BC newbs = Record PNW human caused avalanche incidents?

WAS

Snopro, I just read an email from the CEO. They anticipated 800 on Saturday and got 1,700 instead, all pass holders or housing guests. The ghost lanes they made to separate folks became filled lanes and obviously that didn't work out, but this coming weekend sounds like they will lay down the law, including masks in lift lines. We'll see how that works. From what I've seen in Lewiston we are doomed.

I can see it, don't need no stinkin' mask, don't need no stinkin' Peeps either....

Snopro

Thanks for the info. I know PNW ski area managers keep in contact. I'm hoping sharing what works and what doesn't helps us stay open through this weirdness.

Philonius

WFF Supporter
"Avalanche experts" tend to be a pretty high risk group. People having the idea that they are able to assess avalanche risk end up engaging in more risky behavior.

Just about all of my skiing time these days is on the skinny boards, groomed trails. It's early, and doesn't look like the local areas have the coverage yet.

Josh

dead in the water
WFF Moderator
Baker opened last Friday, but I haven't heard any reports on how it's going up there. Didn't buy a pass this year because we decided not to do lessons for the kids. Generally I think snowsports can be pretty covid safe (outdoors, wearing goggles/gloves, a mask shouldn't be a hassle and you might be wearing one anyway, etc). But the hassle of bathrooms and lunches with two kids seemed like kind of a mess.

I'm sure I'll get up a few times. But I'm going to wait and hear how things are going up on the hill. Might just be a winter where I spend more time on the river.

Brian Caud

WFF Supporter
Bought an ikon pass this year for use mainly at Crystal. Zero formal communication from Crystal or Ikon regarding them requiring reservation in advance of opening the system to claim your spot.

Now all weekend dates are booked through January... Crystals response was "come visit us on a week day"

Not an appropriate answer to those of us who still have jobs...

bk paige

Wishin I was on the Sauk
Bought an ikon pass this year for use mainly at Crystal. Zero formal communication from Crystal or Ikon regarding them requiring reservation in advance of opening the system to claim your spot.

Now all weekend dates are booked through January... Crystals response was "come visit us on a week day"

Not an appropriate answer to those of us who still have jobs...

This is why I did not buy a pass this year, as I ski at the spur of the moment. Not scheduled weeks in advance!

Spelunker

This is why I did not buy a pass this year, as I ski at the spur of the moment. Not scheduled weeks in advance!
I bought an epic pass but they are doing reservations as well. They are holding "week of" reservation slots that are released on Tuesdays I believe. I think last moment trips will be attainable.

I've curbed my expectations for I'm still optimistic. People who are skiing Crystal right now seem quite happy. A ski resort at 30% capacity is pretty awesome if you are there! Cascade concrete or not, I can't help but be thrilled about being so close to these mountains.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts