NFR Bird Buddy

SilverFly

One of my friends and business partners was involved in designing a smart bird feeder that takes photos of the birds that visit and then auto identifies them for you. They launched it on Kickstarter and the response has completely blown away all expectations. Posting here in case its of interest to anyone.

View attachment 261539
See it on Kickstarter
Cool tech. My inner mad scientist wants to mod this with a selective-destruct option for noxious species like starlings and English sparrows.

SilverFly

There are very good bird books out there. You can always go to Cornell labs. Hi-tech stuff may be nice but no substitute for paper and nocs.
Somebody has too much disposable income.
The Peterson's guide books are good and not expensive. There was always a Peterson's Birds of Western North America next to the living room window in my parents house.

What I like about this tech is that it has the potential to catch the attention of young people long enough to get them interested in birds. Anything that reconnects people with nature (non-destructively) in this social-media crazed world is a good thing.

Driftless Dan

Driftless Dan
WFF Supporter
I live in Illinois these days, and I was somehow able to procure a list of commonly found birds in the state. I have that pinned to the wall next to the window that looks out to the feeder. I also have the Peterson's book there, so once I have identified a new species, I check it off of the list.

I will say that probably 25% of my visitors are a couple species of Chickadees, with Cardinals next, followed by lots of different sparrow species. There are a lot of woodpeckers that take the seeds (always thought they only ate insects), blue jays (yes, we have actual blue jays on this side of the Rockies, but Washington only has scrub jays and Stellar's jays, IIRC). but I'll see many other species as well: nuthatches, goldfinches, etc.)

JE

Pretty neat. It is going to be interesting to see how monitoring ecosystems and fish and game management evolve alongside the IoT.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
WFF Supporter
We have a couple feeders for the hummers. I'd like to put a bird feeder on a pole with a DIY squirrel baffle but Mrs Brian doesn't want seed feeders again after rats from the woods on the property started raiding a feeder attached to the house and chewed through 1/4" hardware cloth on the soffit vents to get into the attic crawl space :mad: .

Maybe if they made an electronic model to ID and ZAP rats and mice...

MGTom

WFF Supporter
We have a couple feeders for the hummers. I'd like to put a bird feeder on a pole with a DIY squirrel baffle but Mrs Brian doesn't want seed feeders again after rats from the woods on the property started raiding a feeder attached to the house and chewed through 1/4" hardware cloth on the soffit vents to get into the attic crawl space :mad: .

Maybe if they made an electronic model to ID and ZAP rats and mice...
We stopped feeding about 3 years ago for the same reason, mice. The birds do a better job on the garden bugs and there have been noticeably less weeds to pull because the seeds get eaten since we did stop.

Rocking Chair Fan

No more hot spotting
The Peterson's guide books are good and not expensive. There was always a Peterson's Birds of Western North America next to the living room window in my parents house.

What I like about this tech is that it has the potential to catch the attention of young people long enough to get them interested in birds. Anything that reconnects people with nature (non-destructively) in this social-media crazed world is a good thing.

I completely agree with you about getting the young people interested in nature. It really makes a difference. I spent a lot of time with my two daughters outside in nature and they became very interested in it. One recently graduated from college with a major in molecular and cellular biology with a chemistry minor. My second daughter just declared her major somewhere in the biology area but not focused yet. If this helps it is worth every penny spent...

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts