Trip Report - SRC first season

Gyrfalcon21

Honoring Vets
I’m not a marine biologist so I could have this all wrong—and if I do please someone educate me because I’d love to know more and have more accurate knowledge:

My understanding is that, aside from individual variation, the coloration of sea runs also has to do with how recently they’ve been up freshwater (if you find them in the Sound) or how recently they’ve been in the salt (if you find them in a river). According to the Coastal Cutthroat Coalition’s ongoing studies they seem to move in and out of freshwater multiple times per year—and not as enmasse as salmon. Therefore the colored up fish may have been upriver more recently than the saltwater-silver one.

In my experience, North Sound tends to have longer and bigger rivers/creeks/streams, and South Sound tends to have shorter and smaller rivers/creeks/streams. It is my understanding that compared to North Sound rivers/creeks/streams they tend to spend less time up South Sound rivers but may make more trips.
From what I gather, fish coloration often has more to do with closeness to spawning than actual time in freshwater.
Rivers like the Yukon that are hundreds to a thousand miles plus can have bright fish far up.

That said, some fish will change solely based upon habitat and camoflauge. Being bright white and silver in a tannin watered stream is a bad disadvantage if hanging around. Glacial rivers opposite.

Cool variables watershed to watershed.

If you see a steelhead kelt returning downriver on the way back to the ocean, they will be silvered up again and look like skinny chromers.

Also Chum/Dog and Pinks can often turn darker colors and be in spawning dress in saltwater before come into the rivers at all.

Hope the Bio's jump on

Last edited:

Gary Knowels

I thought my last day of work was going to be a rainy mess but it turned out being a gorgeous day! I was able to get these two beauties on back to back casts. The first one's in my top 5 and the next one is number 1! I didn't bother taking a photo of the third one since it was only a foot long.

Got all of them on my pearl and pink bugger. Gonna have to tie up some more of them since they clearly work.

First fish of the day. If this was it I'd have been over the moon.
View attachment 262646
View attachment 262647

Second fish of the day and the biggest one yet!! What a day to end on!
View attachment 262648 View attachment 262649 View attachment 262651 View attachment 262652

And now it's time to head back to the mountains. It's been a great couple of months chasing these wonderful fish.
Mind sharing more detail on how you tie that fly?

adamcu280

Mind sharing more detail on how you tie that fly?
Sure thing!

Start with a Daiichi 2546 in 6. Put a cone head on it (size/color your choice)

Standard thread wrap down the shank to the bend.

For a tail, tie on a clump of marabou, followed by a few strands of flashabou or equivalent of a similar color to your polar chenille. I like to have the flashy stuff extend a little bit past the marabou.

Depending on the type/color of polar chenille I use, I may wrap some normal chenille up the shank for a "body" leaving some space for a polar chenille "collar" behind the cone head, or I may skip the normal chenille and just go straight polar chenille all the way up. For instance, some of the root beer and silver polar chenille versions end up looking too "clumpy" in the water (to me anyways; the fish still seem to like them) if I make touching wraps all the way up the shank. The pearl polar chenille seems to be a lot less dense than the root beer and silver stuff I have so I tie those versions with touching wraps all the way up. I really like how svelte these ones are in the water.

For versions with "bodies" I finish off by filling the space between the body and cone head with a few wraps of the polar chenille - the "collar".

I don't think thread color really matters since it's generally buried under all the other material but I've been using red on everything recently since if it does end up peeking through behind the cone head it becomes "gill flash" or "wounded baitfish" :)

My big producers have been pink tail/pearl polar body, olive tail/olive or red chenille body/root beer polar collar, chartreuse tail/silver polar. I'm sure chartreuse/pearl would also crush.

This fly is really just a simpler version of a woolly bugger. It's stupid easy to tie - you only need three or four ingredients (marabou + flashy strands + maybe chenille body + polar chenille) beyond hook, head, and thread. I've recently started tying them on tubes too. Haven't had a chance to try the tube version out but maybe tomorrow in the SRC wasteland that is Whatcom county.

Hope this helps!

Reeltrout

Wonderful story. Thanks for sharing. Hope you find yourself floating in deep virgin powder all winter, floating in the clouds. The fish will be there when you return to the waters.

adamcu280

Wonderful story. Thanks for sharing. Hope you find yourself floating in deep virgin powder all winter, floating in the clouds. The fish will be there when you return to the waters.
Thanks! I tied up a handful of Knudsen spiders today. Just can't get the fish off my mind. Yesterday though... ;)

Reeltrout

I thought my last day of work was going to be a rainy mess but it turned out being a gorgeous day! I was able to get these two beauties on back to back casts. The first one's in my top 5 and the next one is number 1! I didn't bother taking a photo of the third one since it was only a foot long.

Got all of them on my pearl and pink bugger. Gonna have to tie up some more of them since they clearly work.

First fish of the day. If this was it I'd have been over the moon.
View attachment 262646
View attachment 262647

Second fish of the day and the biggest one yet!! What a day to end on!
View attachment 262648 View attachment 262649 View attachment 262651 View attachment 262652

And now it's time to head back to the mountains. It's been a great couple of months chasing these wonderful fish.
God is smiling on your well deserved good fortunes.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts