Skagit Fly Line for Regular Fly Fishing

xApprchsNfnty

I have a roll of RIO Skagit Flight SHD 575gr but don't know much about it. I see that Skagit style is like spey casting? I'm a beginner.

I'm wondering if I can use this line on a regular fly rod for non-Skagit style fishing? If so, what weight line would it be closest to?

Skagit Line RIO.jpg

Thanks.

jaredoconnor

WFF Supporter
Skagit lines aren't really very good for normal casting. 575gr is also way too heavy for any (normal) single hand rod. Sorry dude!

xApprchsNfnty

Thanks Jared. Actually it turns out that it's actually two lines spooled one after another. I was able to find some pics of other similar Skagit lines and they do look super thick, these are definitely not those.

I'm going to throw them on some empty reels and see how they fly!

xApprchsNfnty

These lines are definitely old, they don't slide through the guides very smoothly. Is there something I can do to make them better?

Jim Darden

I have a roll of RIO Skagit Flight SHD 575gr but don't know much about it. I see that Skagit style is like spey casting? I'm a beginner.

I'm wondering if I can use this line on a regular fly rod for non-Skagit style fishing? If so, what weight line would it be closest to?

View attachment 261586

Thanks.
A 575 gr line is just a little over the weight of a 15 weight fly line, It might be good for throwing the big poppers used for bill fish, if you happen to have a single hand 15 wt lying around. I would recommend you take 8-10 $100 bills and throw it in the fire with your fly line. Otherwise you may get into spey fishing which will cost you some REAL money!!!

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts