Gene Edwards info?

BearBio

My wife got me an Edwards 9' 8wt with detachable fighting butt for X-mas. Want to use it for salmon and steelhead. I can find little about Gene Edwards. A lot on Eustice but little on Gene. Can anyone direct me to a source?

para_adams

There are two excellent books on the Edwards family and their rod making history, Casting a Spell by George Black, and Playing with Fire by Patrick Garner. The former is a broader story and covers more of the time period after EW's passing and it has more coverage of the Gene Edwards period, but it's more scattered in its approach and harder to find concrete info that you may be looking for. The latter, Patrick Garner's book, is a great reference for details on Edwards rods throughout his history leading to his passing and his sons (Gene and Bill) taking over production after his passing. Playing with Fire provides a wonderful preview of what led to Gene's work since Gene apparently continued in his father's rod making style and made a lot of rods of the same quality, action and even cosmetics as his famous father. His brother Bill (WE Edwards, ain't that confusing) veered into the Quadrate rod making and made his name with completely different rods but also of great quality.

You can also find a wealth of information by search Classic Rod Forum for Gene Edwards.

Please post photos if possible, I'd like to see your Gene Edwards rod. Here are a few of my EW Edward likely made by Gene...

BearBio

Photos after Christmas (Unless I can find where she hid it and the Phillipson Peerless she got me).

Is there a definitive answer (or even a consensus) on why a ceramic tip and a wire tip on a pole? I thought one was for nymphing and one for dries (Somebody told me that years ago!0

BearBio

She was my secretary when I was in Title Insurance. Then she put me through college for BS degree in Marine Biology and an MS in Animal Behavior!

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts