"American Nymphing" - It's better than Euro Nymphing Right?

What is "American Nymphing"?

• Any fly fished under an indicator

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • Any 2 fly rig under an indicator

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Hopper Dropper

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • A red and white bobber with powerbait on a snelled hook

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Any nymphing that isn't euro nymphing

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Any combo of indicator and bead or egg

Votes: 4 12.5%

• Total voters

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
WFF Supporter
This with a bead?
20201121_090132.jpg
or this with a big dry up top
20200930_092651.jpg

Last edited:

Rob Allen

Point blank euro nymphing is just the tight line nymphing that people all over the world have been doing for decades and that conventional anglers have been doing for even much longer. Steelhead fishermen call it drift fishing.

However someone needed to make money and a name for themselves so they rebranded it and made specialized gear for selling to do it.

Euronymphing gets the big old yawned from me, but by all means if you enjoy it? Go enjoy it, that part is awesome..

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
American nymphing in this land of freedom loving rugged individualists would necessarily be the style that fits the least common denominator. That is, it is a style that requires the least skill and talent, generally the simplest tackle arrangement that can be purchased from mass market sporting good stores, including Wal Mart, and may or may not include garden hackle. A complete American nymphing setup includes a hat or belt holster with cup holders capable of holding two cans of macro brew cheap azz beer. Cuz 'Merica!

quilbilly

Big Time Hater
Let me tell you about nymphing, America has the best nymphing. Nymphing like you've never seen before, so much nymphing, the best nymphing...and its done in America, by Americans.
No Chinese necks used in nymphing, just American nymph parts, made in America.
But the failing, fake news Dry Fly media doesn't want to talk about nymphing, its all about a bunch of dead guys in ascots, Halford...not even an American.
MNGA

GAT

Dumbfounded
Point blank euro nymphing is just the tight line nymphing that people all over the world have been doing for decades and that conventional anglers have been doing for even much longer. Steelhead fishermen call it drift fishing.

However someone needed to make money and a name for themselves so they rebranded it and made specialized gear for selling to do it.

Euronymphing gets the big old yawned from me, but by all means if you enjoy it? Go enjoy it, that part is awesome..
Rob is absolutely correct. It's just dead drift nymph fishing with very long leaders … I was amazed when suddenly the technique was called Euro nymphing when I've always known it as dead drift and something most steelheaders (spin or fly) have used for many, many. many moons.

It ain't new...

long_rod_silvers

WFF Supporter
Rob is absolutely correct. It's just dead drift nymph fishing with very long leaders … I was amazed when suddenly the technique was called Euro nymphing when I've always known it as dead drift and something most steelheaders (spin or fly) have used for many, many. many moons.

It ain't new...
Exactly. That's why we need to have American Nymphing!

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
If I ain't Euro Nymphing or Czech nymphing, I'm doing it all wrong. Will I get laughed off of My skinny water. Or maybe a ticket for doing it all wrong. I have no idea what is right or wrong. I just know the way I do it works. So I'm going to call it "Jim's Nymphing". So there.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
WFF Supporter
...it is a style that requires the least skill and talent, generally the simplest tackle arrangement that can be purchased from mass market sporting good stores, including Wal Mart, and may or may not include garden hackle.
Except for the bold comments you were describing traditional fixed line Keiryu (garden hackle), and Tenkara (unweighted artificial flies) Asian Eyes Smiley.png

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts