"American Nymphing" - It's better than Euro Nymphing Right?

What is "American Nymphing"?

• Any fly fished under an indicator

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • Any 2 fly rig under an indicator

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Hopper Dropper

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • A red and white bobber with powerbait on a snelled hook

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Any nymphing that isn't euro nymphing

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Any combo of indicator and bead or egg

Votes: 4 12.5%

• Total voters

SARG950

Let me put this thread to rest:
- sighter line section must be red, white, and blue
-indicators are restricted to red, white, and blue
-rod, reel, and line must be made in America
-must fish with arrogant attitude
-must have a list of the most ridiculous excuses when you fail to catch fish

longputt

Indicators are OK with the IGFA
Indicators are OK with the IGFA.
Nonsense:

"which includes streamer, bucktail, tube fly, wet fly, dry fly, nymph, popper and bug. The use of any other type of lure or natural or preserved bait, either singularly or attached to the fly, is expressly prohibited."

Bobbers not allowed...has to be a fly even foam "hoppers' are allowed but not bobbers.

jaredoconnor

WFF Supporter
Joe Humphreys (an American) was apparently using a contact nymphing technique, well before the term "Euro nymphing" existed. That said, contact nymphing in Europe seemed to evolve in parallel and had a much stronger following. "Euro nymphing" became popular, because all the European competitive anglers started slaughtering the US team. The history is pretty interesting. The article below gives a good overview.

As time progresses, more folks are using the terms "contact nymphing" or "tight lining", which encompasses all techniques where you are in direct contact with the fly. Some crazy people like me are even using it for dry flies.

If someone ever said "American nymphing", I would probably think of Thingamabobbers.

landlocked

WFF Supporter
There’s got to be a female body hair preference and British teeth comparison to insert somewhere in here...

Swimmy

I have an amazing collection of fishing shirts
WFF Supporter
PATRIOT NYMPHING.

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
WFF Supporter
If someone ever said "American nymphing", I would probably think of Thingamabobbers.
If I'd tied a hook to a thingamabobber I'd of caught several nice bull trout this year. Between that, and the split shot eaters, it became clear I needed to replace those parts of a rig with flies.
Your not crazy, or we both are. For a couple weeks this year a tightlined renegade dry was the ticket for me as well.

KillerDave

Have camera, will travel...
Nonsense:

"which includes streamer, bucktail, tube fly, wet fly, dry fly, nymph, popper and bug. The use of any other type of lure or natural or preserved bait, either singularly or attached to the fly, is expressly prohibited."

Bobbers not allowed...has to be a fly even foam "hoppers' are allowed but not bobbers.

A strike indicator is part of the leader. Per the IFGA regs, "Leaders must conform to generally accepted fly fishing customs."

Here's an article for more info: https://flylifemagazine.com/igfa-playing-by-the-rules/

This video seems to get closer to the heart of the matter:

GAT

Dumbfounded
A strike indicator is part of the leader. Per the IFGA regs, "Leaders must conform to generally accepted fly fishing customs."

Here's an article for more info: https://flylifemagazine.com/igfa-playing-by-the-rules/

This video seems to get closer to the heart of the matter:
Now that is the funniest clip I have seen in a long, long time :D Unfortunately, I know folks who are that puritanical in regards to what is acceptable for flyfishing.

Meh … whatever floats your boat.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts