Sky or Snoqualmie for first float?

BrianT

Hey all,

I'm a new drift boat owner and user. I've been out with it on the lake once just to get a feel for it, and I'm hoping to float a stretch of river on Sunday with a friend. My question is whether anyone has floated Sultan to Ben Howard recently or from Plum Landing to Neal Road. I've done both very easily in my raft. This will be the first time on the oars in the drift boat though, and I wanted to know if there were any recent hazards to be aware of in either stretch.

Thanks in advance!

Brian

BrianT

I would try Ben Howard to lewis street first.
Appreciate the input. What’s the thought here? That’s a pretty short drift, right? Are you suggesting that it’s significantly easier than the other two options? Thanks again.

Brian

bk paige

Wishin I was on the Sauk
Yes much easier, if you know what to look out for and know how to read the water Sultan down is a breeze, until its not.

fisher

I floated Sultan to Lewis street bridge on 10/31 in my raft, no hazards to speak of at that time. CFS was around 4700. A few spots of dead water so a lot of pushing through those areas.

BrianT

Which in that stretch is 100% of the time because people aren't paying attention and get too close to a high bank.
Can you clarify this a little? Are there a lot of accidents in this stretch? When I did it in my raft, in December a few years ago, I remember it seeming pretty straightforward. There was nothing that jumped out to me as being overly technical. I understand that floating a river requires complete attention at all times, but is there something specific to this section of river?

bk paige

Wishin I was on the Sauk
If you floated it in raft you can do it in a DB, at low water the log jam at 2 bit is sketchy.

flybill

A collector never stops collecting!
WFF Supporter
Drove from Ben Howard up to Sultan today! Only a few cars parked, and didn't see anyone fishing or floating. Water is high, of course, but not a terrible color. Blue / gray and flowing fast! Was thinking of going out tomorrow morning, but don't think I will, at least not planning on it for sure.

Float should be quick! Paige knows it well and I've floated with him and others many times.

long_rod_silvers

WFF Supporter
Can you clarify this a little? Are there a lot of accidents in this stretch? When I did it in my raft, in December a few years ago, I remember it seeming pretty straightforward. There was nothing that jumped out to me as being overly technical. I understand that floating a river requires complete attention at all times, but is there something specific to this section of river?
Sorry about that! Didn't mean to confuse you, I'll back up a bit. These are easy floats. Yet despite the ease of these floats, there are still a fair number of accidents on them. My opinion: when people get pinned or sink a boat on any of those floats it's because they either weren't paying attention (and drifted too close to the bank or obstruction) or they don't know what they're doing (years back a guy and his daughter flipped their boat below ben howard - he literally didn't know how to row a boat, that's what I mean when I say "don't know what they're doing"). Sounds like you're competent on the sticks - you'll be fine on either plums, sultan or Ben Howard. There are a couple places that are a bit of a pain in the ass when the water is low (like where @bk paige mentioned, or at the golf course below Plum), but you won't have that problem this time of year.

SRCgary

Hey Brian, I was like you only a few years ago. Bought a boat and went for it. You will have a blast, the Sky is a good river to learn on. Best advice I ever got was 2 tips. #1 always keep your bow pointed at danger. #2 always put a safety leash on your oars. I use Paracord. Its easier than you think to lose an oar. Have fun, see you out there.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts