Boats Pulled the trigger

Boats, rafts, float tubes, etc

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
WFF Premium
So after looking hi and low I found exactly what I was looking for. An 8' aluminum jon boat that I can store outside.
So far I've replaced the rotting wood screwed on in the transom area and replaced the rusty bolts with stainless. The corner braces were a little loose and rattling so I put some screws in them. On the way are new oars, oarlocks, nylon bushings, a seat mount that clamps to the bench seat with a new padded seat, and a top secret carrying device that I hope will work.

8ft.jpg

Yet to order are anchor releases and rod holders. I also need to do something for extra rod storage, and get a couple of rubber backed rugs for the floor.

wakingflies

lake fishing you'll need an anchor front and back, or you will spin around and around and around when you don't want to.

troutpocket

If it does leak, be sure to tell us all about the raw deal you got and general decline of civilization it signifies;)

edit: I am referring to the guy who did this with the drift boat he bought last summer. That looks like a very serviceable little boat!

Last edited:

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
WFF Premium
If it does leak, be sure to tell us all about the raw deal you got and general decline of civilization it signifies;)

edit: I am referring to the guy who did this with the drift boat he bought last summer. That looks like a very serviceable little boat!
I remember that guy! My son-in-law can weld aluminum and there is also an aluminum boat builder in Sedro so I think I'm covered if it does leak. I've got a couple of ten pound anchors already for my pontoon boats and some old style window weights I can slide down the rope if more weight is needed.

Buzzy

I remember that guy! My son-in-law can weld aluminum and there is also an aluminum boat builder in Sedro so I think I'm covered if it does leak. I've got a couple of ten pound anchors already for my pontoon boats and some old style window weights I can slide down the rope if more weight is needed.
There's a form of water in your boat you don't get from leakage - and you guys get a lot more of that rain stuff than we do here east of the mountains. Some years back a friend taught me his trick for "bailing" - a big, absorbent sponge in your pee container. The sponge works really well absorbing rainwater (and if you spring a leak, she mends me, a drunkards dream if I.. sorry, The Band). I don't use mats in my wood pram, often I track in a bit of mud or sand, the sponge helps clean that up as well.

Last edited:

Old Man

A very Old Man
My brother had a 10 ft jon boat just like that. It was made by Lund and it took both of us to launch it. It was well over 100 pounds. You add all that junk and it will take three big boys to launch it.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
WFF Premium
My brother had a 10 ft jon boat just like that. It was made by Lund and it took both of us to launch it. It was well over 100 pounds. You add all that junk and it will take three big boys to launch it.
I'm not letting you rain on my parade old man. I can't help it that you guys were wussies. This ain't no 98lb weakling here and all the accessories are...removable!

flybill

A collector never stops collecting!
WFF Premium
I'm all about the butt ugly! Do you think I should camo it?
Haven't floated it yet. It supposedly "doesn't leak". :)
Yes, do blue digital camo!! And leaks just add character, and wet feet!!

Chris Johnson

So after looking hi and low I found exactly what I was looking for. An 8' aluminum jon boat that I can store outside.
So far I've replaced the rotting wood screwed on in the transom area and replaced the rusty bolts with stainless. The corner braces were a little loose and rattling so I put some screws in them. On the way are new oars, oarlocks, nylon bushings, a seat mount that clamps to the bench seat with a new padded seat, and a top secret carrying device that I hope will work.

View attachment 262054

Yet to order are anchor releases and rod holders. I also need to do something for extra rod storage, and get a couple of rubber backed rugs for the floor.
Nice, where'd ya find that?

looks like a good deal. i have a 10 footer and i can manage it myself and i'm not that big. had mine for almost 30 years now and i bought it used. those welded seams stand up pretty well. i just throw a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet in to protect my flylines and if it gets dirty just take it out and hose it off. cris

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
WFF Premium
And how doth thou intend to propel thyself over the bright waters in this wandering bark?

Me doth use oars and 12V-32lb thrust.
you spring a leak, she mends me, a drunkards dream
I don't have to speak, she defends me. My pee can already has a sponge in it.
I like the looks of it. How wide is it? What's the make of it?
48" beam. The maker's name is stylized and I'm not sure exactly what it says. I'll post up a photo today.
Nice, where'd ya find that?
Craig's List. Drove down to Sammamish on a dark and rainy night. It was closer than the other one I located in Indiana. :)
looks like a good deal. i have a 10 footer and i can manage it myself and i'm not that big. had mine for almost 30 years now and i bought it used. those welded seams stand up pretty well. i just throw a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet in to protect my flylines and if it gets dirty just take it out and hose it off. cris
Lots of ten footers out there. I like that I can put this in the back with the tailgate up, or up on top of the racks. I want the rubber backed rugs so they don't blow out on windy days. Plus they dampen the noise.

My top secret boat carrier arrived yesterday. Hopefully it works and I can show you some photos.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts