WDFW Looking at restrictions for steelhead season

Charles Sullivan

As much as I dislike the suggestion, if the goal is to reduce the number of encounters, then it seems to me that we need to have a lottery system and restrict the number of anglers allowed on the river on a given day. Big Game permits seek to do a similar thing and BC has a similar approach that could work.
I don't like this approach. Any approach that lets you buy in by getting a guide is flawed. You are just privatizing a public resource.
The BC approach is what happens when you put the guides first.

Go Sox,
cds

GOTY

9x Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
It will be interesting to see how upset gear anglers get at us swing guys. Probably get low holed and stuff.

Hopefully they realize this change greatly reduces our access to swing runs.

Edit: Hot off the press

1607484799375.png

Last edited:

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
The fact that you can't fish out of a boat is going to limit a lot of guides. All those trout guides from MT are gonna realize that they're better off staying home.

Some, but certainly not all.....
SF

WT

Some, but certainly not all.....
SF
if they have a list of clients that know how to do something besides fish a bead under an indicator they might stick around otherwise they might decide to stay home and go skiing.

maverick98

I would rather have the guy who low holes me on the bank and we can have a peaceful conversation than have them throw right on top of my swing as the float by. Then I have to yell the same pleasantries to them as they float down the river. The first option I found to be more convincing lol. Just think about fishing the Nooch without a thousand sleds ripping by.

fishbadger

It will be good to get some of the guides off the river in this fishery. I don't feel bad about this. The well-established locals will adapt, but the carpetbaggers from the Rockies can suck it. The ship's been slowly sinking for more than a decade; time for a bunch of them to hit the life boats.

I have one request to those of you who'll be swinging away. Will you please move your feet? You're not going to get bit on the 20th exact same shitty cast you've been making. There's not a fish there if it didn't eat it the first 10 times. Move. And don't be a dick when I step in behind you and follow you down.

Thanks!!

fb

GOTY

9x Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
I have one request to those of you who'll be swinging away. Will you please move your feet? You're not going to get bit on the 20th exact same shitty cast you've been making. There's not a fish there if it didn't eat it the first 10 times. Move. And don't be a dick when I step in behind you and follow you down.
Kenny Powers doesn't need to make requests. La Flama Blanca just makes shit happen.

Chris Johnson

Will you please move your feet? You're not going to get bit on the 20th exact same shitty cast you've been making. There's not a fish there if it didn't eat it the first 10 times. Move.
This reminded me of one time on the Hoh, I got to Willoughby at daylight and when I got to the river there was a dude in the run. So I stood at the top waiting and the dude is just standing there. It was still half dark so I couldn't really see what he was doing. finally he started moving and fished down the run pretty fast and walked down stream. Soon he came back and as he approached I said "No good water down there?" He said "No". I told him it was a good thing he started moving, cause at first "I thought you were a fence post". He looked at me and said "I had a fish on you asshole" I said "Oh, sorry man, guess that explains it". He turned out to be a real good dude.

P.S. I loved that run, but now she's gone!

Last edited:

Yard Sale

Huge Member
My fear is that guides will just become shuttle drivers to mossy booted folks. Get to a good run and wait for the fish to come through.

Good news is with some creative flat plans I should be able to avoid the daily shit show. Maybe....

JesseC

My fear is that guides will just become shuttle drivers to mossy booted folks. Get to a good run and wait for the fish to come through.

Good news is with some creative flat plans I should be able to avoid the daily shit show. Maybe....

There’s a strong contingent of uncreative SWING ONLY guides that already do that. Seriously. One run, until the roll casting client finally gets bit. Shit man, I’d rather work in a mental hospital.

JM

Guides will adapt to the new regulations, some will move their operations to SW Washington, Oregon, or river sections outside the regulations.

Gyrfalcon21

Just on a whim, looked up Montana guides and steelhead, I see Alaska Steelhead trips in my small sampling. I had not seen that before. I know the change cannot be that fast, but wonder if the trend was shifting or just a crowding out of WA?

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts