WDFW Looking at restrictions for steelhead season

GOTY

9x Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
This never happened before...
Seriously, nobody ever fished gear from the shore if they had a boat, ever.
:rolleyes:
Nobody said that. We are talking about what will change from prior years, so it's the marginal change that's important. The dudes who did it before will still do it. It's the folks who didn't do it before, or perhaps did it infrequently but are now forced to do it 100% of the time, that make the marginal impact.

quilbilly

Big Time Hater
Well if crowding of the runs a steelhead stream is of importance to you, then do what you can do to lessen it...
:)

GOTY

9x Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
Well if crowding of the runs a steelhead stream is of importance to you, then do what you can do to lessen it...
:)

Other folks were talking about crowding down in Oregon, but that's a different topic.

Last edited:

Creatch'r

Hesitant Member
When fishing from a boat there is a lot of water and everyone can play through at their pace, angle, technique, etc and it isn’t crucial to be first or 15th despite what you may think. Now there is gonna be such limited spots to fish there will be boats being craned off bridges, and drug through the rainforest on game trails to get an edge and race to get into the Wade friendly spots. It’s gonna be a shitshow. This will be the year of the one man boat. I predict a lot of butthurt. Gear guys aren’t gonna give two fucks about a guy swinging a run. The anchors getting dropped and I bet many will relish the opportunity to do so because they hate fly fishermen more then they did yesterday.

My 2nd prediction is the overcrowding of the upper watershed park waters which IMO, should be off limits anyways. I hope ONP mitigates this in some fashion. Maybe they have but I haven’t seen it

My 3rd prediction is I catch a lot of stocked trout this year. Might fuck around and set a new PB for sub 15” trout in one year.

My 4th prediction is that nothing changes, the nets will mow em down until the blade is chewing up the gravel like usual and 5, 10, 20 years from now only tenkara will be allowed and every other steelhead you catch has a net scar or a seal bite and someone, somewhere will still insist it’s the tackle and the guides. Just like in 2010, 2015 and 2020.

Evan Burck

Fudge Dragon
My 2nd prediction is the overcrowding of the upper watershed park waters which IMO, should be off limits anyways. I hope ONP mitigates this in some fashion. Maybe they have but I haven’t seen it
I third this motion. I did that for one season until I realized how fragile that part of the habitat is. I was hooking spawners in February and other fish that had obviously been caught a few times lower in the river. Those fish need a finish line, because right now they can get fucked with even when they fuckin'. I actually haven't been back to the OP since I think 2012?

I'm down to clown on some trout. Been gettin way more in to that the last few years. Detroit Lake stockers this last year was EPIC (before the fires, obviously)

GSIEGEL

Can guides work federal land without a special permit?
No, they need special authorization. I have no idea how many guides have it these days. It was somewhat exclusive years ago, but it seems like quite a few have been floated more recently. Then there are those fishing "buddies".

Chris Johnson

We will see how things shake out this year, I don't think it will be as bad as some of you are predicting. For one thing a lot of customers are not going to come, they want to drift a bead and bobber and catch fish. They don't want to stand up to their nuts in ice cold water waiting for one grab. And who cares if you get first water? I've picked pockets and had mine picked as well, it's fishing.
P.S. Most of the steelhead I've caught have been after 10am.

Last edited:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts