WDFW Looking at restrictions for steelhead season

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
You know the past “need to feed your family” mayor of Forks will be jumping in on this.

Any predictions on what level of a fold we’ll see on these new rules?
SF

GOTY

9x Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
It will be interesting to see how many people show up this time. Last meeting when they were discussing this and asking for input there was only ~150 of us which I was shocked at for being so low. Funny how folks don't seem to care until it personally effects them.

dustinchromers

I dont really have a dog in this fight, but I do have some very good friends who are guides....guys I consider to be of high quality character, and I feel bad for this sudden change in their livelihood.

Still, as a guide myself, I feel like anyone who decides to guide for a living in 2020 had better be skilled at adapting to an ever changing work environment, have backup plans in place, and quite frankly be accepting to the fact that it could very easily come to a screeching halt at any point.

I keep seeing new steelhead guides pop up and for the life of me I can't understand why anyone would willingly begin a steelhead guide career these days.

I've said it before, but I would like to see the state treat guiding rivers similarly to how they treat guiding the salt. You want to run a salmon charter in the salt you're gonna pay 50k or more for a charter license, or find someone to lease you one for 5-6k a year. I say make a new guiding license, something that encompasses food fish and game fish, put a 40k price tag on it, and sell a finite number of them. After those sell, that's it. Anyone else that wants one needs to buy one from someone, most likely at a higher price, or lease. That sort of monetary investment would keep the half ass guides away. Those who survived would be much more invested in the fishery, and quite likely being proper stewards for the fishery. It would also be self policing, as those who invested so much would be quick to report any illegal activity.

To guide the saltwater one needs a captains license, a boat, insurance, and in most cases a serious amount of coin invested in licensing. As is, any Joe can throw 5k at a drift boat, and 375 bucks for a game fish license, and go join the mess. Doesnt seem like it should be that way.

Honestly this would limit entry and solve allot of issues. It blows me away that river guiding is open season for a few hundred bucks and is overcrowded. Then you got where you guide and it's basically nearly deserted and the bar for entry is huge. It's god-damned backwards.

Jonathan Tachell

I don't follow MA regs too closely but I was under the impression that wasn't WDFW making a decision in isolation. Isn't La Push and virtually all of the Quileute reservation still closed off now? Driving down 110 this past weekend all the signs indicated that was the case, but I don't fish the marine areas out there so I don't know.
I know that the reservations were shut down and still are. However, that should not have been a reason for the ocean along half of the Washington coast to be closed to recreational fishing. The tribes don't own the ocean (at least not completely yet) if I wanted to launch at Westport, CQ or anywhere else in the state that was open and make the run to marine are 3 and 4 that should have been an option. I ended up spending the summer running to area 3 and 4 from CQ anyway and would have done the same in May and June for bottomfish if the WDFW had not closed those areas.

Creatch'r

Hesitant Member
2020 skagit river season: 37 fish short of the plush escapement goal..... no season.

2021 OP season: potentially 1000 plus short of dangerously low threshold in watersheds coast wide..... “let’s ban boats and the tribe said that maybe they might net less lol IDK”...... #SWINGSEASON Don’t forget to donate to our .ORG thanks for playing

GOTY

9x Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
I just checked on google maps, and it is a 16 hour drive from Billings to Forks.

It is also a 16 hour drive from Billings to Lake Michigan.

Maybe the Montana guides will just go rope some adfluvials in the Mid West? Since two negatives make a positive....and their bobber + bead isn't fly fishing nor are those fish steelhead.....maybe this has always been their destiny.

Brian St

Logistics being the same one could only hope. But the fact is they are guiding for the Brazda's or Mitchell's of the industry so there invited to come to the O.P and have at her. And they stand out like a bull moose in head lights.

Rocking Chair Fan

No more hot spotting
Clearly the best way to avoid the crowds is to plunk. Throw out the EZup, build a fire, chuck and wait for the ring. Actually it doesn’t sound so bad.

Proven methodology. It works great for river catfishing. Easy way to drink
your favorite drink and take a nap while waiting. Just sayin'...

Last edited:

flybill

A collector never stops collecting!
WFF Supporter
"Hey man, pitch in $400 in gas, and we'll fish some cool shit!"
So true! I'm going to get a shirt with that on it! No guide license needed! Want one Evan? I'm thinking a deep blue color of the shirt! With a steelhead on the back? Or your avatar, Bobo!! :cool::p

jfilip85

I just checked on google maps, and it is a 16 hour drive from Billings to Forks.

It is also a 16 hour drive from Billings to Lake Michigan.

Maybe the Montana guides will just go rope some adfluvials in the Mid West? Since two negatives make a positive....and their bobber + bead isn't fly fishing nor are those fish steelhead.....maybe this has always been their destiny.

I can assure you we've reached our limit of flat billed bros huckin triple nymph rigs with 4 go pros attached to their bodies.

If anyone from Montana is reading this:

THEY ARE FAKE, ICKY DUMPSTER LAKE FISH. EWWWW GROSS. NO SEA LICE, DON'T BOTHER!!!!

Rob Allen

I don't want to argue about this but I think this us a bad idea..
1. It doesn't help the fish
2. It hurts people.

All laws that don't help the problem but hurt people are bad.

Predictions for this winter.

Fighting, tire slashing, and side planers

Last edited:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts