WDFW Looking at restrictions for steelhead season

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
Over 500 Zoom and call in participants. That seems like a record at any WDFW Commission meeting that I know about. It's rare to even have 100. I was pleasantly surprised that a majority seemed to support the Department action to restrict fishing to no boats, no bait, no barbs.

Joepa

Joe from PA
Aside from the economical impact, a significant portion of those opposing the new regs were arguing for disabled fishers. I hope there's a reasonable accommodation made for disabled anglers, otherwise expect litigation.

jfilip85

Aren’t they allowed to fish from an anchored boat like on the deschutes?

The danger argument is a bit ridiculous. The guy who asked the panel if they’ve “actually ever seen the upper sol Duc” made it sound like people have guns to their heads and are being forced to fish these treacherous areas. The whole point of this is to limit impact, not challenge people to try and fish difficult water on foot.

If people injuring themselves in remote places was of any concern, back country camping would’ve been outlawed long ago.

Last edited:

JM

Its definitely going to be a different scenario on the river banks on the OP this winter. I can see it being like my high school partner and I in the late 60's as we took my 10ft aluminum downriver, except then we rarely saw another boat. The McKenzie drift boat had not invaded the OP yet. We used the boat to get from hole to hole, getting out and walking the drifts before moveing to the next hole. A lot of holding water is not accessible to bank anglers and is only fishable by boat. I would expect that will result in fewer fish caught.

Eastside

The danger argument is a bit ridiculous. The guy who asked the panel if they’ve “actually ever seen the upper sol Duc” made it sound like people have guns to their heads and are being forced to fish these treacherous areas. The whole point of this is to limit impact, not challenge people to try and fish difficult water on foot.

If people injuring themselves in remote places was of any concern, back country camping would’ve been outlawed long ago.
Yes. The guide can walk the boat through the run with the handicapped angler casting from the boat. Not much fun for the guide.

flybill

A collector never stops collecting!
WFF Supporter
Does anyone know if they posted the Zoom call at all? I was working and might check it out. Even though I've got the highlights from you guys!

BDD

I listened in to the Zoom meeting today. I enjoyed both the presentation and the public testimony. As someone who is interested in the process but no dog in the fight, it is easy to see how folks who are against the new proposals try and make the science fit their own agenda.

dustinchromers

Yeah that argument is so tired and stupid and I hear it over and over again.. ironically the same guys using it are the ones who are always blathering on about being wolves not sheep and whatever other analogous metaphor for their fearless alpha male persona they attempt to cultivate for their fellow obese and moderately mentally challenged cohorts. I don't get it? Are you an alpha wolf among sheep or just an out of shape guy with a jacked up truck unable to muster the confidence to wade a run and hold a rod at the same time? Any able bodied man using this argument should be shamed as the closet pansy they are behind all that faux bravado.

Steve Saville

WFF Supporter
I've made my position known on the boat issue. Yes there are tons of boats on the rivers. I honestly believe there should be a permitting system for outfitters that would limit the number of boats on any given day and it might curtail the number of out-of-state outfitters. Someone said every time they went to certain rivers the launches were inundated with trailers from other states. Other states have limited access with permitting systems. They aren't popular but they do curtail the number of boats. Truthfully, I don't know how it is enforced so it most likely wouldn't work well here.

Saltycutthroat

WFF Supporter
Yeah that argument is so tired and stupid and I hear it over and over again.. ironically the same guys using it are the ones who are always blathering on about being wolves not sheep and whatever other analogous metaphor for their fearless alpha male persona they attempt to cultivate for their fellow obese and moderately mentally challenged cohorts. I don't get it? Are you an alpha wolf among sheep or just an out of shape guy with a jacked up truck unable to muster the confidence to wade a run and hold a rod at the same time? Any able bodied man using this argument should be shamed as the closet pansy they are behind all that faux bravado.
That was music to my ears.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts