WDFW Looking at restrictions for steelhead season

longputt

I'd think that would be a stretch for even the most unscrupulous individuals.
Years ago Canada did not allow electric down riggers unless you had a note from a doctor. It was easy to tell a doctor "cranking a downriver may cause carpal tunnel" virtually every boat had electric down riggers (except mine!). They finally just made them legal.

Let's see what story it takes for a "fishing disability"? "It hurts my back when I climb out of a boat"? "I could drown if I fell climbing in and out". It puts a lot of pressure on a doctor to deny a "disability". They could be liable for an accident.

Bruce Baker

Does anyone know if they posted the Zoom call at all? I was working and might check it out. Even though I've got the highlights from you guys!

Sportsman

This is becoming a bigger and bigger problem in all science and particularly the web where there is no peer review...in my world we call it "HARKing".
Unfortunately science can be twisted by the uneducated " What's wrong with marrying my sister"? Now even math has fallen victim: 1+1 = a quadrillion. Harvard law degrees used to stand.for something.

Rob Allen

This is becoming a bigger and bigger problem in all science and particularly the web where there is no peer review...in my world we call it "HARKing".

If I was a biologists writing what I felt was an important paper, I'd want it reviewed and criticized by everyone. I think the scientific community, especially as it relates to this topic and salmon science in general has become a bit of an echo chamber.

It's a human problem, we all see what we want to see..

Reactions: gt

longputt

by the uneducated
those giving them a paycheck
"uneducated" is not as simple as you think. I've been reading an interesting book called Dark Data and vaxers do not believe in vaccinations because many diseases, like polio are a "myth" to some people, they've lived without it and have no idea how effective the vaccine was. They just see the flu vaccine which is very ineffective...but for an entirely justifiable reason. So when great grandma passes away, who is there to tell them the vaccine really worked? The government, the web, family? Why get a shot for a mythical disease?

"paycheck" and "echo chamber" have an enormous impact on research. When you read a government proposal call there is often an enormous bias in the call. Sometimes it can relate back to a single PhD adviser who "spawned" many PhD students who dominate a field. They write calls and fund proposals in areas they all agree upon before the research is even started. "Outsiders" with alternate views rarely get funded.
echo chamber.

GOTY

9x Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
I'm going for the bobber sombrero. They will be so mesmerized that won't even notice the funky line sticking out of my rod.

Hey Yard, you were the sombrero with the bobber and I will we’re the tweed cap with side planer and pirate plug in mine.

I just installed some outriggers on my raft. I'm thinking you two post up on the banks of the upper hoh holding some rods, and I'll row out to mid river with your lines on the outriggers running some plugs over redds.

And yes, this is how I win another GOTY award.

longputt

I just installed some outriggers on my raft. I'm thinking you two post up on the banks of the upper hoh holding some rods, and I'll row out to mid river with your lines on the outriggers running some plugs over redds.

And yes, this is how I win another GOTY award.
I've noticed many guides have groupies...GOTY how many do you have?

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts