How much room should wading boots leave?

speedbird49

I just bought a couple Orvis ultralights so I can stop trashing my hiking boots. They feel great! High quality, comfortable enough to drive in, and light enough for the backpack. But following advice to buy one size up, they feel a bit big. I normally wear 13, and bought 14. There is a solid one and a half inch from the tip of my toes to the end of the boot, and almost an inch in top clearance. Should I get a size smaller or should I stick to the advice I was given?

Kfish

WFF Supporter
I just bought a couple Orvis ultralights so I can stop trashing my hiking boots. They feel great! High quality, comfortable enough to drive in, and light enough for the backpack. But following advice to buy one size up, they feel a bit big. I normally wear 13, and bought 14. There is a solid one and a half inch from the tip of my toes to the end of the boot, and almost an inch in top clearance. Should I get a size smaller or should I stick to the advice I was given?
I think that's too big, especially for hiking. My boots have about a finger's thickness of clearance for wiggle room.

Last edited:

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
Every boot manufacturer is a bit different.
Some boots tend to run a bit big.
I’m a 13 but always by a 14 in Simms, which fit great.
That sounds like a lot of play.
If possible, take the thickest socks you’d ever wear fishing plus your waders to a shop and try on the boots with both on.
You don’t want your boots to be too tight either, which leads to cold feet in the winter.
SF

Freestone

WFF Supporter
I think that's too big, especially for hiking. My boots have about a finger's thickness of clearance for wiggle room.

You didn’t say it so I will ask, rather than assume. Do you have that much space in the boots when you have really thick socks on underneath waders that have neoprene feet? Or, are these boots for wet-wading?

When people say to go up a size, it is assumed they will be worn with waders. Also, it depends upon the manufacturer so as Stonefish said, always go try them on with your own gear.

Kfish

WFF Supporter
You didn’t say it so I will ask, rather than assume. Do you have that much space in the boots when you have really thick socks on underneath waders that have neoprene feet? Or, are these boots for wet-wading?

When people say to go up a size, it is assumed they will be worn with waders. Also, it depends upon the manufacturer so as Stonefish said, always go try them on with your own gear.
Sorry I wasn't specific. I have that much space with the thicker merino wool socks on underneath neoprene boot foot.
It's one of those things you really have to try on to know your size for sure.

Big Rob

There is a solid one and a half inch from the tip of my toes to the end of the boot, and almost an inch in top clearance.
even with your bootie on?

I wear a 13, and purposefully buy a 14 (simms and orvis) and they fit perfectly (with socks and my waders or booties on)

Chris Johnson

I usually buy one size up for wading boots. I bought a pair of Simms and was told they size them big so you don't need to go up, that was a mistake.

speedbird49

even with your bootie on?

I wear a 13, and purposefully buy a 14 (simms and orvis) and they fit perfectly (with socks and my waders or booties on)
At the moment I have no bootie foot waders. I probably am going to end up buying wading pants and so far most results I am looking at have bootiefoots so I am leaning to sticking to the bigger boots. I also know from experience that water pressure compresses the boots while wading in the sound, not so much in the river

Last edited:

Big Rob

At the moment I have no bootie foot waders. I probably am going to end up buying wading pants and so far most results I am looking at have bootiefoots so I am leaning to sticking to the bigger boots. I also know from experience that water pressure compresses the boots while wading in the sound, not so much in the river
How can you judge size if you're missing a key component? Wait to judge the fit when you have all your gear on.

"I also know from experience that water pressure compresses the boots while wading in the sound, not so much in the river"

What? lol

Josh

dead in the water
WFF Moderator
An inch and a half feels like way too much. That's not going to get taken up by wearing bootfoot waders.

I mean, to each their own, and I'd rather have my boots a little loose than a little tight. But that's a lot loose. Too loose of footwear causes blisters in my experience.

Head back to orvis and ask to try them on with a pair of waders in the shop. They'll let you and will help you figure out sizing.

Gary Thompson

dirty dog
I have small feet size 7.5 and when I buy stocking foot waders that fit, the foot is like a size 10.
So I have a summer wading boot for wet wading in a size 8 and a cold weather boot in a size 9 to handle the extra stocking foot.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
WFF Supporter
If you have room to get a tape measure in there to measure it, then you probably have too much room.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts