Longer Skagit Heads

flybill

A collector never stops collecting!
Look for an old AirFlo NW Skagit. 32' / 475gr, throws t10 like a champ.

Alternately, cut the nose off an old Delta.
Shhhh, don't tell them @g_smolt , we all need an excuse to buy a new line! And the more it costs, the better it casts!! Seriously! Now when the graphene rod and graphene lines come out, those damn steelhead will learn to fear me and give me the respect that I deserve... I just haven't bought enough gear yet! MSHFFBA - Make Steelhead Fear FlyBill Again!

Yard Sale

Huge Member
Dang, there are lots of options! Thanks for all the suggestions folks. I'm gonna do some reading and see what feels right.

@DenWor54 That is above and beyond! Don't want to put you out like that unless I really can't find something already made that would work for me. Really appreciate the offer though!

Albula

swollen member
I am another who cut the floating "tip" off of an old Delta Spey and looped on a type 6 and type 8 tips back in the day when I wished to get down and dirty. If you rolled it the the surface you could even do a decent single.

DenWor54

Dang, there are lots of options! Thanks for all the suggestions folks. I'm gonna do some reading and see what feels right.

@DenWor54 That is above and beyond! Don't want to put you out like that unless I really can't find something already made that would work for me. Really appreciate the offer though!
Not a problem Yard i plan on splicing a line for myself and like tying flies as long as you have everything set up it not an inconvenience. Keep me posted I’m still trying to dial in the cane rod so I will put a couple together and send you one to try if your in need.

skyrise

CCA, Hatchery Wild Coexist
Not a problem Yard i plan on splicing a line for myself and like tying flies as long as you have everything set up it not an inconvenience. Keep me posted I’m still trying to dial in the cane rod so I will put a couple together and send you one to try if your in need.
Just curious but how do splice lines these days ? I did it a long time ago using the illustration in Trey Combs first book with the dental floss epoxy way. It worked and I still have that fly line today using it every now & then.

JayB

Novice spey caster here. What's the benefit of a longer head vs just switching to a perry-poke? Is it just a matter of the longer head creating a more substantial anchor during the stroke that loads the rod more extensively than a shorter head, and then providing more mass/momentum to carry the heavy tip?

DenWor54

Skyrise, I strip the line to expose the core and I have a splicing kit with a needle puller. The line that use has a braided core so i use a slower setting super glue not epoxy and they hold up real well. Because the base lines are 15,14,12 wght lines I don’t think floss would pull the core thru.

Wayne Kohan

fish-ician
Have you talked to Steve Godshall? I've gotten several lines from him and he knows Meiser rods well. His lines aren't too expensive either.

hydrological

beads are NOT flies and snagging is just ghetto
long MOW tips. with a 27' skagit long head and 5' floating>10't-11 you would have the equivalent of a 32' head>10' sink tip. just lighten your head by 55gr. to compensate.

bhudda

heffe'
That old NW AIRFLO fit my stroke like a fly pair of Salvatore Ferragamos!!! Almost harder to find then the CND GPS lines :)

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts