Silver Artic MD Compact Intermediate #6 fly line review

Kfish

WFF Supporter
I recently bought a Artic Silver fly line to try it out since they now have a USA distributor in Georgia.
This braided core line is from Norway and it's claim to fame lies in the micro diameter running line. The manufacturer states that the thin running line makes it much easier to cast and travels faster through the air with less resistance. It's compact taper head is 224 grain for #6 line and is 27ft long. It comes with welded loop at both ends, total length is 98ft. Cost is $69, comes in a neat magnet hatch paper box with fly holder lining. Had they made this out of plastic it would have made for a neat little fly box.

PXL_20201126_195144951.jpg

First impression:
This feels like a high quality fly line, handles much like the supple Airflo 40+. Line is smooth throughout with no texturing but it does seem to have some kind of slick coating that helps it feed thru the guides and casts well.
The baby blue running line diameter is noticeably thinner than most flyline out there, it feels and handles more like a spey setup.
The head has a short rear taper, about 2-2.5ft long while the front taper is more gradual at around 5ft and terminates with a thin tip. It has a pale lighter blue color compared to the running line.

Blue running line compared to chartreuse Rio CQS's running line, it's noticeably thinner.

PXL_20201126_213647694.jpg

Casting: This line casts really well and can shoot a mile with the running line this thin.
With a Scott Meridian #6 medium-fast rod, it loads quickly with a couple of false casts, give it a haul and it will rip! The running line is very supple and smooth, I did not encounter any tangles after a few hours of fishing this morning, and this was in about 47deg F air temp. In my experience, if it lays down smooth in the basket then it will depart smooth.
Almost the entire 98ft can be thrown out there with some double hauling.

DSC02268.jpg
DSC02258.jpg

Handling: Being a braided core it has very little stretch. Stripping is smooth over the finger. The only downside to having a thin running line is that it's a bit harder to have the feel when you're wearing gloves, especially with liner gloves under latex. It's not that big of a deal however, with gloves off it's a joy to handle.

DSC02262.jpg
DSC02273.jpg

Fishing:
The head sinks at approximately 1.5-2in per second but the running line will float however. I was hoping that the running line would sink as well but it does not. Perhaps with the thinner running line will cut through the waves easier and won't be affected much...who knows. Today was very calm so I don't know how it will handle the chops on windy days. I don't know how the wind would affect how this line casts either, more fishing time is needed.

DSC02246.jpg

Overall this is a really fun line to fish with, it casts well, doesn't tangle, handles well and clearly adds distance to my casts. I don't mind the light blue head but rather kind of like it, would be better if it was clear though. The only bummer is the floating running line, other than that I will definitely fish it a lot more this winter.

Last edited:

DenWor54

Thanks for the review Kfish, I picked up the same line a year ago and have not had a chance to spool it up and try it out. My old wet cel intermediate running line and shooting got proped by my cousins so I thought I would try something new.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
WFF Supporter
The only bummer is the floating running line,
Thanks for a great review!!

I like a floating running line because even though I used a DIY stripping basket that was admittedly too small a Cortland Clear Camo intermediate full sink line seemed to find its way down around my feet the first few times I tried fishing the salt and got nicked up. I have a better stripping basket now and do a better job of line management but when my slack Airflo 40+ floating running line winds up in the water it doesn't get stepped on. I don't believe that I'm anywhere near the angler that @Kfish and @Stonefish are but I catch a fish or two almost every time I fish a beach and floating running works for me.

And the 6 wt at 14.5 gm / 224 gr is between an AFFTA 8-9 rather than an AFFTA 9-10 that might not feel like it's overlining my medium fast 9'6" Scott A4 6 wt so much. The sale price makes it a little more attractive to try so I'm going to order one.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
Lou,
Thanks for the review.
The sea trout folks really like a floating running line in a lot of their intermediate lines
Sorry I didn’t run into you today out that way.

Thanks for a great review!!

I like a floating running line because even though I used a DIY stripping basket that was admittedly too small a Cortland Clear Camo intermediate full sink line seemed to find its way down around my feet the first few times I tried fishing the salt and got nicked up. I have a better stripping basket now and do a better job of line management but when my slack Airflo 40+ floating running line winds up in the water it doesn't get stepped on. I don't believe that I'm anywhere near the angler that @Kfish and @Stonefish are but I catch a fish or two almost every time I fish a beach and floating running works for me.

And the 6 wt at 14.5 gm / 224 gr is between an AFFTA 8-9 rather than an AFFTA 9-10 that might not feel like it's overlining my medium fast 9'6" Scott A4 6 wt so much. The sale price makes it a little more attractive to try so I'm going to order one.

You’ve got to use what you feel comfortable with and have confidence in.
Since I started fishing full intermediates, I haven’t used my 40+ in a long time.
I just like how the full intermediate gets below the wind chop and surface weeds.
I’ve got two new to me full intermediates on order that I’m looking forward to trying out.
SF

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
Had a few boils at the gurgler but no hook ups.

My last 2-3 outings SRC’s have been tough to find/get to commit. I’ve landed a half dozen or so but not the numbers I would expect this time of year. I am fishing areas that have produced in the past and have run into some heavy hitters on the beach a few times, including the popper king himself twice, so I’m pretty sure I’m looking in the right places. Lots of rezzies though.

I’ll find them. Two more days at least this weekend to fish. Anyway, thanks for the review! I am looking for something besides the I OBS for SRC so these reviews are helpful!

Brian Miller

WFF Supporter
Got my 6 weight Arctic Silver Compact Intermediate line a couple days ago and spooled it up today. Since the running line and head are the same color I also marked the line every 10' from 20' - 60' with a felt tip marker; -- (20') --- (30') ---- (40') etc. to get a better visual indication for how the line casts, how much line is out when stripping, and where hookups occur. Will try it out this coming week.

Thanks again for the review.

Bruce Baker

Lou,
Thanks for the review.
The sea trout folks really like a floating running line in a lot of their intermediate lines
Sorry I didn’t run into you today out that way.

You’ve got to use what you feel comfortable with and have confidence in.
Since I started fishing full intermediates, I haven’t used my 40+ in a long time.
I just like how the full intermediate gets below the wind chop and surface weeds.
I’ve got two new to me full intermediates on order that I’m looking forward to trying out.
SF
What are the lines you are getting?

Bruce Baker

Got my 6 weight Arctic Silver Compact Intermediate line a couple days ago and spooled it up today. Since the running line and head are the same color I also marked the line every 10' from 20' - 60' with a felt tip marker; -- (20') --- (30') ---- (40') etc. to get a better visual indication for how the line casts, how much line is out when stripping, and where hookups occur. Will try it out this coming week.

Thanks again for the review.
Looking forward to hearing your impressions of the line

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
What are the lines you are getting?

Bruce,
I ordered a full intermediate from Steve Godshall and a full intermediate from A. Jensen in Denmark.
I’ve only fished each one time, so no really opinion yet other then both caught fish.
The sea trout folks in Europe sure know how to make a thin running line as Lou had mentioned.

I think we’ll be seeing that some on more readily available lines in the US in the future. ;)
SF

Kfish

WFF Supporter
I have continued to fish with the Artic Silver Compact Intermediate and still is liking it a lot. The running line especially closer to the head does not float so much like a dry line anymore, if I dip the rod tip in I can get the majority of it to stay just under the surface.
The wind and waves kicked up yesterday morning with some salad/debris mixed in, the line handled it pretty well and stayed pretty straight on the strip in. Not so much on larger freighter waves but that's more of an exception. I was happy with how it casts in the wind, head on was ok too.
The light blue line does not put off fish at all as far as I can tell and it's low stretch core definitely helps with getting tight to fish quickly.

Brian Miller

WFF Supporter
Looking forward to hearing your impressions of the line
I got a chance to try the Arctic Silver Compact MD Intermediate line today. I am a mediocre caster and the conditions were challenging for me. I got there 1.5 hours before high tide and fished (cast) for a little over 1 hour. There was a steady 8 mph southwesterly wind with gusts reported to 14 mph. There were 2 to 2.5 foot swells, and I'm going to say that the west facing beach I chose is hard to fish at greater than 2' below today's high tide level.

First impressions...
1. The line takes up noticeably less space on my Lamson Speedster 3.5 reel.

Facing northwest so the wind was coming into my left shoulder at 90° from the casting direction (quarter to the current) I started making gradually longer casts.

*2. The running line and head colors are so close to being the same that I didn't notice the color difference on an overcast day at the beach while casting & stripping. I honestly have to put it under a bright light to tell the difference when on the reel. I am going to put a mark on the line with a red felt tip pen to help me more readily notice.

3. After a several minutes of casting I got to where holding the line somewhere in the rear taper, one double haul false cast followed by a double haul delivery cast was able to shoot line from approximately 25' in the rear taper held in my hand to the mark I put at 60' at the reel. The line cast pretty straight out to the fly. A few casts would definitely gotten out further if there had been more line stripped out.
4. I liked the responsiveness of my 9'6" Scott A4 medium fast 6 weight rod with the 6 weight Arctic Silver line much better than the sluggish spent feel it has with Airflo 40+ 6 weight line that I was carrying up to 35' in the air while casting a similar distance, and the cast would often hook.
45 I need more time with the line in calmer conditions but I don't think the Arctic Silver line sinks quite as fast as the 40+. An unweighted fly with the 40+ would hang up on the bottom too often when stripping at a pace - rhythm that catches fish. I did get one hang up on the bottom about 15' off the end of my rod with the Arctic Silver line. Now I don't fish lakes often but the 40+ has been outstanding the last couple of times I fished lakes at getting me into fish, in one case after a Clear Camo got me zero strikes with the same leader and fly. I hope I see results similar to the 40+ on lakes with the Arctic Silver.

So that's it for me after the first day with what for me were challenging conditions.

*edited

Last edited:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts