Silver Artic MD Compact Intermediate #6 fly line review

adamcu280

Any more updates on how this line holds up? I've been using and mostly liking my Coastal Quickshooter 5wt - main gripes are tangling the running line - but it's my only point of reference.

mickeyrat

WFF Supporter
I got out the other day with the ArcticSilver MD compact the other day in some moderate side/onshore wind. It casts very well and I didn't have much line left on the spool when gunning it with a double haul. I'm not what I call a great caster either.
The sink rate is really good on the shooting head. The line as a whole is very slick and the floating running wasn't that big of an issue. I might think differently about that when we get into beach salad season.
One thing that is noticeably different from the other lines I've used is the long thin front taper. I've been running longer leaders of late and my fly wasn't turning over very well especially into the wind. So I'd recommend around a 5' leader to help as it did for me.
Tangles were few, especially for as much line as I had in the basket at times. For the clearance price, no tax, free shipping I'd recommend it for flyline geeks. Saw fish, but the drought continues. Thanks Kfish

Kfish

WFF Supporter
I got out the other day with the ArcticSilver MD compact the other day in some moderate side/onshore wind. It casts very well and I didn't have much line left on the spool when gunning it with a double haul. I'm not what I call a great caster either.
The sink rate is really good on the shooting head. The line as a whole is very slick and the floating running wasn't that big of an issue. I might think differently about that when we get into beach salad season.
One thing that is noticeably different from the other lines I've used is the long thin front taper. I've been running longer leaders of late and my fly wasn't turning over very well especially into the wind. So I'd recommend around a 5' leader to help as it did for me.
Tangles were few, especially for as much line as I had in the basket at times. For the clearance price, no tax, free shipping I'd recommend it for flyline geeks. Saw fish, but the drought continues. Thanks Kfish
Glad you like it! Agreed the front is a bit longer than what we're used to, I keep my leader in the shorter side 9ft or less and ends with 8lbs maxima.

Tenkara

Glad you like it! Agreed the front is a bit longer than what we're used to, I keep my leader in the shorter side 9ft or less and ends with 8lbs maxima.
Thanks for your comments about the Arctic Silver MD. I'd like to try it and wonder where you purchased it. Thanks.

NRC

WFF Supporter
Thanks for your comments about the Arctic Silver MD. I'd like to try it and wonder where you purchased it. Thanks.
I would sell you a #6 I fished once for $40. Didn’t end up being the best match for my rod. PM me if interested.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts