Fly Fishing Marine Preserves

Greg Price

Love da little fishies
Wow, you know, it happens every day.

A walker throws rocks into the water near where i am fishing.

If it is kids, i bet they just enjoy throwing rocks (as still enjoy even in adulthood. Skipping rocks on a steam is still fun). I take that in stride because you got to expect that behavior on a crowded city beach.

But the adults, I hope they are not trying to scare away fish. That law got me to wondering if a small percentage of them may be animal rights activists who are being passive aggressive.

I will continue to ignore the irritating behavior. I place them in the non fishing majority who have no clue that their actions are scaring away fish. No need for me to stress, it is a big beach and i can always move to a new spot.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
WFF Supporter
If you were legally fishing, I would have told the officer to walk back up and write Karen a ticket.

77.15.210. Obstructing the taking of fish, shellfish, or wildlife​

One needs to have this printed on the back of their jacket.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
WFF Supporter
It is always best to check the regulations on specific reserves, but typically only salmon can be harvested from within the borders of a marine reserve. The argument for the exception is that the salmon are only passing through
Other fin fish, such as rockfish, ling cod, cabezon, etc. are residents at these locations and often show VERY little movement after they recruit to a reserve. The larger, more numerous fish and invertebrates within the reserves provide offspring to seed non-reserve areas.
Steve
+1
Some Preserves allow no fishing at all. Some preserves allow fishing for salmon only between dates that salmon fishing is open in the Marine Area the Preserve is in.

Also, I had an email exchange with WDFW about a Marine Preserve that allows salmon fishing from shore to clarify if SRC, scientifically classified as Pacific Salmon, were legal to target between the dates that salmon fishing is open.

"Hi Brian,
Salmon species that are open for fishing at the xxxxx Marine Preserve are chinook, coho, sockeye, chum, atlantic, and pink salmon. Cutthroat trout are not included in the definition of salmon and is closed for fishing at the xxxxx Marine Preserve.
Thank you,
Hannah
Fish Program Customer Service"

Dave Boyle

Steve,
I agree that folks should check the regs before fishing.
We also know that a lot of things get bonked regardless of the regulation.
Killing it first then asking what it is seems a pretty common thing I see on social media.
The two MP’s in Seattle I mentioned both allow salmon retention. I think WDFW could do be better job of explaining what type of finfish can be retained in marine preserves within specific marine areas in the regulations.

Fishing beaches can be a interesting experience.
Being told “you’re harassing my chums” (in August) and when the Seal Sitters showed up yelling into a megaphone and breaking out the crime scene tape were to of my most memorable experiences.
SF
I’ve also encountered that chumly asshole on that beach but in sept. He stood behind me trying to piss me off. I just cast up and down the beach as he rambled on, there was nary a chum to be seen. Way too early.

Dave

speedbird49

I’ve also encountered that chumly asshole on that beach but in sept. He stood behind me trying to piss me off. I just cast up and down the beach as he rambled on, there was nary a chum to be seen. Way too early.

Dave
I plan to target Chum over there with a bobber and Anchovy next year. I do not think he will be pleased

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
Nope, an angry wee man in my case, unless she had a beard. Guardians of the salmon....

Dave

My encounter was with a woman.
I think it was her Birkenstocks that allowed her to sneak up on me without the crunch of gravel and barnacles. She may have had a beard but I didn’t notice as I was to mesmerized by her hairy legs. ;)
The Carkeek Corps of Chum Protectors are a force to be dealt with if you fish there.

I also had a guy send down his young son to tell me I couldn’t fish there while his dad was up at the top of the stairs. The kid looked about seven years old.
I told the kid to go get his dad. I was waving at the dad to come down to the beach but they left after the kid got back up to his dad.
I really should have just gone up there myself to express my opinion to the dad about his lack of knowledge regarding the legality of fishing there.

I don’t fish there any longer even though the beach is a five minute walk from my house.
SF

Buzzy

My encounter was with a woman.
I think it was her Birkenstocks that allowed her to sneak up on me without the crunch of gravel and barnacles. She may have had a beard but I didn’t notice as I was to mesmerized by her hairy legs. ;)
The Carkeek Corps of Chum Protectors are a force to be dealt with if you fish there.

I also had a guy send down his young son to tell me I couldn’t fish there while his dad was up at the top of the stairs. The kid looked about seven years old.
I told the kid to go get his dad. I was waving at the dad to come down to the beach but they left after the kid got back up to his dad.
I really should have just gone up there myself to express my opinion to the dad about his lack of knowledge regarding the legality of fishing there.

I don’t fish there any longer even though the beach is a five minute walk from my house.
SF
What kind of parent sends his seven year old to tell another adult male he's fishing illegally? Mind numbing.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts