Winter fishing on the Yak

Joe J

Last minute, unplanned trip to the Yak. Leaving tomorrow staying a couple of nights. Staying just down stream from Easton in an Airbnb with river access. I'm hoping to wade down stream from there a couple hours a day as flows access allow. Never fished the Yak at all before, but spent a couple hours on the Red's fly shop blog last night so hopefully I can get a few to hand. Any advice either here or via PM would be appreciated but not necessary. Just excited to get on the water for the first time in about a month!

PooterTooter

It's winter in central WA. Water is low. Nymph. Nymph hard. A Pat's stone rubber legs with a pheasant tail dropper TYPICALLY works well. A Pat's stone and San Juan worm is a killer combo there in the cold, too. There's a few good creeks that feed the Yak--you should spend some time exploring them, too.

Joe J

Thanks Pooter, what you described is similar to what I have planned. Any creek access you would care to mention via PM would be cool, and if not it'll give me something to do on google maps tonight

NukeLDO

WFF Supporter
Swinging some of the deeper holes with micro-spey flies such as hobos can be very effective in the colder weather for larger fish.

PooterTooter

Thanks Pooter, what you described is similar to what I have planned. Any creek access you would care to mention via PM would be cool, and if not it'll give me something to do on google maps tonight
OMJ and some of the other forum vets used to talk about it a lot. You can find things from the early 2000's if you search thoroughly. I'll shoot you a PM, too, though. I don't think too much around the Yak is a secret.

flybill

A collector never stops collecting!
WFF Supporter
As others have said, nymphs, a double rig. Can't go wrong with a Pat's stone, have them in different colors and sizes. I have the most luck with a Prince Nymph, but in purple. Purple and sometimes red has been effective for me.

And have a second rod rigged for streamers. Big but not too big. I find olive or black a good way to start. Especially from a boat, but if fishing from the bank target deep holes and rocks, the eddy's where fish will hold and chill in the cold water and eat if something floats by.

I love dries, on my bamboo rods or fiberglass, but this time of year it's not the way to go! Check out Red's and the other E-burg sites. They have up to date reports and usually mention what's been working...

And I agree that San Juan worms are great this time of year. I start with red, but have pink and brown ones, or half and half available. The flies are important, but good presentation and you increase your chances to catch.

If the Yak doesn't look good, head over to Rocky Ford and give it a go... don't need waders, since you can't wade but the fish are there and you can see them! Great for some winter fishing and wetting a line. Plus it cures the shack nasties and gives you a break if you swing flies for steelhead. I call that, practice casting with a fly!

dfg

I was out at Cle Elum on Saturday. There were a few rises, so BOLO for BWOs. Otherwise, the advice above seems right on.

Joe J

I was out at Cle Elum on Saturday. There were a few rises, so BOLO for BWOs. Otherwise, the advice above seems right on.
I like the BOLO, will do. I arrived closer to dusk than planned today, so didn't hit the water. We'll see what tomorrow holds.

ceviche

I wish I could find a post of mine, about this winter Caddis on the Yak that I saw, from many years ago that Preston Singletary shed light on. I saw the damn thing hatch right next to me. Month of November. Kind of a thin rusty brown body. I would imitate it with a thread body, just barely enough of a collar dubbing to prop up a sparse grizzly soft hackle and all on a Size 14 or 16 light scud/emerger hook. I might still have one I tied back then. I’ll post if I have it and manage to remember.

long_rod_silvers

WFF Supporter
I wish I could find a post of mine, about this winter Caddis on the Yak that I saw, from many years ago that Preston Singletary shed light on. I saw the damn thing hatch right next to me. Month of November. Kind of a thin rusty brown body. I would imitate it with a thread body, just barely enough of a collar dubbing to prop up a sparse grizzly soft hackle and all on a Size 14 or 16 light scud/emerger hook. I might still have one I tied back then. I’ll post if I have it and manage to remember.
Did it look like this?

20201126_195020.jpg

Joe J

Thanks for the offer to tag along guys, too bad I didn't see these posts until now. I got out for a couple hours this afternoon. Found a couple of smaller fish nymphing. The wind started blowing pretty good, and I couldn't fish a double nymph rig without making a mess. Switch to an olive steamer on a sink tip, which resulted in the best fish of the day.

Attachments

• PXL_20201202_215135513.jpg
    PXL_20201202_215135513.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 107

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts