I've got patches on my patches on my ........

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
WFF Supporter
I should mention in the interest of a fair review. The normal kling-on soles are garbage and probably dangerous.
Thanks, I tried to be specific about using non-studded Kling-On soles for hiking only and only the studded soles for wading. At least one response to bad reviews of the non-studded Kling-On soles from Korkers (CS?) on the Korkers website says the non-studded King-On soles are not recommended for wading.

Last edited:

Brian Miller

WFF Supporter
^ They work OK for Puget Sound, but I'm sure glad to have felt soles for river use. (My boots came with both.)
I haven't used my Korkers at the beach because I find the salt environment is harder on my gear. My old Chaco's rubber soles recently got real squirrelly at a salt beach so I invested in the Kold Cutter 3/8" AMA studs. They worked great and at 10¢ each in a bag of 250, I don't mind losing a couple of studs, but will probably try a dab of Loctite or rubber cement on the threads before my next trip.

Philonius

WFF Supporter
Oh yeah, the salt kills boots. The steel grommets on mine rusted out in about 18 months of use, and I am quite diligent about rinsing gear after every trip.
Since my uppers are still in pretty good shape, and the boots are quite comfy, I screwed around with various ways to fix them. Couldn't find a grommet/rivet system that really worked, and finally resorted to this elegant solution using parachute cord, the duct tape of the rope world:

I keep thinking I should buy a new pair, but.....

landlocked

WFF Supporter
For seam seepage, I have successfully used Rustoleum spray leak seal. Its just like flex seal, but cheaper. I sprayed the seams of two pair of leaky waders two seasons ago and just had to redo the knees of one pair last month. The only caution I would make is to note that you need to use only a light coating of the stuff. If not, it looks like an elephant ejaculated on your waders as the sealant dries only semi-clear. I got the stuff at Home Depot, but many places sell it

Freakin’ genius! I wonder if the Ronco spray-on hair would work also? Think I have a can or two of that out in the garage (right next to a couple old cans of Billy Beer).

Guy Gregory

Yes, of course Salmo, one should repair. But there comes a point where there’s little left to repair, and at that point I recommend replacing with serviceable, quality gear that will also be repairable in the future.

Buying low quality wear parts is seldom economical in the long run.

Brian Miller

WFF Supporter
Oh yeah, the salt kills boots. The steel grommets on mine rusted out in about 18 months of use, and I am quite diligent about rinsing gear after every trip.
Nice job with the boots!

I carry a spice bottle with freshwater in a shirt or jacket pocket to put used flies in when I change. And I don't just rinse, I soak my boots in a 5 gallon bucket of freshwater, my rod and Measure Net in the bathtub, my reel and flies in the sink, and change the water.

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
WFF Supporter
And your point is???? Patching and repairing products to extend their utility is virtuous, unless you're wedded to the all too American concept of disposable everything. Hell, I've been known to darn wool wading socks when only the heels wear thin.
OK, you got me. I'm really just looking to justify to myself now it's OK to buy the zippered pair because I'm getting old and have got a guppy sized bladder. :)

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts