COVID Exposure Notification System

jaredoconnor

WFF Supporter
Lots of you might have seen this today, but I thought I would post it for those who haven't. The COVID exposure notification system, developed jointly by Apple and Google, was launched in WA today. If you have an up to date iPhone, it is already built into your phone and you probably got a prompt about it already. If you have an Android phone, you can download the app from Google Play. I have enabled it and I recommend everyone enables it, to help our state get through this mess. I also encourage everyone to share it around; the more people who use it, the better it will work.

Below is a video that explains how it works.

Below is the Google Play link.

Below are iPhone instructions, if you didn't get the alert already.

Full disclosure: I am a software engineer at Google, but my work has nothing to do with this system; I am just a user, like you. I am very security and privacy conscious. I don't even trust my wife on our home wifi; her laptop is relegated to the guest network. I put my tin foil hat on about most things related to tech, particularly things like the third party COVID tracking apps. However, I trust this system and believe this will really save lives.

Last edited:

Zak

WFF Supporter
I downloaded and installed it from the Google Play Store earlier today. I'm very glad that Washington joined other states in implementing this system. It seems most helpful if you click the option to send anonymized data to the Department of health, so they can track the outbreak.

Philonius

WFF Supporter
Thanks for posting this. It seems the system addresses most reasonable privacy/security concerns, and could be useful in slowing the spread of infection. I do wonder though:
The system sends users an alert when they have been in proximity to someone who has recently tested positive, but (?) doesn't differentiate between say, passing someone in the grocery store, and spending time in closer contact with higher potential for transmission. It seems there would be significant potential for misleading positives. I could see this generating too many alerts and leading users to either over-react or develop a case of alert fatigue and just ignore the darn thing. How does one interpret the information they get rationally?

jaredoconnor

WFF Supporter
Given the current state of COVID here, one of my friends joked that they could have saved a lot of money and just made an app that says "you have been exposed", as soon as you install it.

You are correct that there will be a lot of over reporting, but that's the price of doing this in a way that respects privacy. What you do with the information is up to your own common sense, I guess.

• Haha
Reactions: Zak

Rocking Chair Fan

No more hot spotting
I think it is a great idea. Activated. The bluetooth connectivity distance is about right. It is supposed to measure 15 minutes of exposure. Hmmm...

So how does one answer the doctor's office screening question of " have you been in contact with anyone with covid " if the app notifies you if there is over reporting?

Last edited:

flybill

A collector never stops collecting!
WFF Supporter
Just did, had heard about it but your link made it super easy !! Thanks!

flybill

A collector never stops collecting!
WFF Supporter
I wish I'd get exposed I need two weeks off..

First time in 30 years I have truly hated my job.
I felt that way for a tiny bit, then got to have a week off due to possible exposure. You don't want the test and you really don't want covid... I had over 4 months off starting February with bronchitis and some other issues...

I collected unemployment and did enjoy much of my time away from work, but it was too long. It was hard to get back, and I had possible exposure every day I worked at Total Wine. I'm no longer there and fine with that.

I'll probably be back to Bevmo in a week or two, but we'll see, got to get the offer soon. I know Bevmo is many of the same issues, but they treat it differently and will not let people come in without a mask worn correctly. They also closed down to people coming in, only online orders with pickup for 4 months! It hurt there business, but protected the employees, two of which are former TW friends. It is different and makes a big difference to me and the workers there!

I know you're probably joking, but you don't want to get COVID19. And time off sounds good, until you get sick and for me the worst of it, was waiting for the test results. I was told it would be 3 to 5 days to get them, but it took just over 24 hours.. that was a godsend!

Rob Allen

I felt that way for a tiny bit, then got to have a week off due to possible exposure. You don't want the test and you really don't want covid... I had over 4 months off starting February with bronchitis and some other issues...

I collected unemployment and did enjoy much of my time away from work, but it was too long. It was hard to get back, and I had possible exposure every day I worked at Total Wine. I'm no longer there and fine with that.

I'll probably be back to Bevmo in a week or two, but we'll see, got to get the offer soon. I know Bevmo is many of the same issues, but they treat it differently and will not let people come in without a mask worn correctly. They also closed down to people coming in, only online orders with pickup for 4 months! It hurt there business, but protected the employees, two of which are former TW friends. It is different and makes a big difference to me and the workers there!

I know you're probably joking, but you don't want to get COVID19. And time off sounds good, until you get sick and for me the worst of it, was waiting for the test results. I was told it would be 3 to 5 days to get them, but it took just over 24 hours.. that was a godsend!

It kills .02% of the people that get it. I am not in the least bit scared on contracting it.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts